1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

10" Drivers for a Sealed 210 ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tjh, Oct 26, 2013.

1. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I know the subject has come up a few times, but the lack of options to make an 8 ohm sealed 210 is sad ... hard to believe that there are not more 16 ohm drivers suitable for a non-vented box offered, especially with the downsizing going on, and the increased awareness of vertical stacking 210's ...

... with that said, I have sub'd to Chris's (Kringle77) threads on here detailing his exploits, so I am aware of a couple of the options, but would be curious to hear what anyone else may have found workable in the way of either 4 or 16 ohm 10's suitable for sealed boxes .. preferrably 16 ohm

2. Hi.

What are Your requirements?

Celestion BL10-100 16 would probably be the cheapest option if they're still available.
    Paid ~17€ each for mine (new from Thomann.de), but the enclosure still ain't done :(.
    Damn work and other required activities that take away my quality time.

Regards
    Sam

3. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    These would be going into an existing box .. I have a Hartke 210XL with a bad driver that I am going to use as a test box to try a couple varieties ... if I can find them

4. Brendan5

Brendan5

Jul 18, 2009
    The 210xl is sealed? Have you considered a Hartke replacement - they are about $70.

5. Hi.

XL210?

Then +1 to that suggestion, even though IIRC the 4's and 16's aren't quite as affordable as the 8's are.
    Nor as easy to find.
    In Europe anyway, the things may be totally different in US.

The availability of any Hartke speaker seems to vary a lot from day to day as well.

Regards
    Sam

6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Yes, 210XL is a sealed box ...

I have two other Hartke 210XL's so I am actually looking for alternative drivers to test ... I have one good driver and one blown in the cab now, I will save the good one for a back-up to my other two cabs, and use the empty box as a test bed for other brands ... if I can find something I like/works

7. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
  8. Brendan5

Brendan5

Jul 18, 2009
    McMelectronics.com is a good source for drivers on the economy side, but don't know if/how much shipping to eur would be

9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Interesting, thanks .. I will be looking hard at that one ... I wonder if this is the Delta that Dave was using in his Avatar B210 prior to the Neo's ... they were a very mid strong voicing ... not as deep as the new neo's go, but I actually preferred them when I A/B'd the two together several years ago ... that was a fairly large ported box though ... I'll check it out

Edit to add: now that I think about it, I believe that old Delta B-210 was rated at 700 watts also ...

10. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
  11. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... you are kind of confirming what I just quickly read about it ... vented much better home for this than sealed

... any suggestions that you have came across in your travels?

12. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    If you need an 8 ohm box, you have pretty slim pickins, but since you aren't looking for huge output, the Webers are probably your best bet.

13. +1 to that.

I own several, and Delta 10x is not worth a ~!@# below 100 Hz.
    This driver is definitely designed for vented boxes.
    And, the 1.8mm xmax farts out quite easily.
    It won't take full rated power until you get over 285 Hz.

However, Delta 10B is great for top box drivers.
    I have a pair combined with an Eminence SST1 horn and PSD-2002 and PKXB2:1K6 crossover.
    The pair of 10B are wired in parallel for maximum noise and an 8-ohm load.
    This mates perfectly with the Eminence crossover.

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    That or having the original reconed... Not sure if Weber is still reconing or not. There has to be a shop in Minne-a-no-place that recones...

15. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    yup, appreciate the input ... it is less a matter of restoring the blown driver to get that box back up and running, than it is to try something different and learn something .. it is just a matter of time before I lose another driver in one of my 'intact' 210XL's, so more or less just pulling the good driver out of the 'test' box and holding it in the wings ... that leaves me with an empty box screaming 'try something different' ... the Webers might be the ticket, just thought I would check and see if I was missing something out of the 'slim pikins' ...

I should ad, I also have a couple of the Ampeg 210AV's, and actually prefer the sound/stableness for stacking of the 210XL's .. the Ampegs seem to handle power a bit better though ... so just testing the water to get a third alternative ...

16. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Honestly, I'd get a hartke replacement. There aren't any suitable 16ohm drivers that Im aware of in the USA. I'd like to help more but, thats what the deal is. I'd love to get a group of people together to pay for a 50 driver run with eminence where we could get a good sounding 10" that is suitable for a sealed cab and that can handle power. The money actually isn't too bad but, you need a person who has a buisiness tax # before they will talk to you about an oem driver. And then, you'd need everyone to agree about how it should sound.

17. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Thanks, Chris ... I guess for now I will just live vicariously through your adventures in cab building/testing ... thanks all for your replies and insight ....

18. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    If there is any place to do this Talkbass is it. Maybe you should try it. Could be quite good.

19. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
  20. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Not interested in that driver. There should be something available that is at least flat through most of its range with with maybe a bump in the upper mids and highs to make it sound like an eminence bass driver. The B810's are rather muddy with that big mid scoop.