Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

10 Grand?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This is the Phil Jones T-500 bass amp. It has a list price of $9,995. Why?!

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    there was already a thread about this. Too lazy to look for it though. Something about 99.99999 % pure copper;)

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hypehypesnobpricinghype... :rolleyes:

4. it's filled with heroin.

5. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Sorry to be off topic here, but DHC, your new avatar is SCARY! :D

6. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Actually, I've got the literature from Phil Jones, and I've been trying to get some pricing on the Six-Pak. His home stereo speakers can cost as much as $175,000, and he's won a number of awards. My drummer spent a lot of time in his sound room at NAMM, and was blown away. Apparently, the bassist in the room (who seemed to be someone of note, according to my drummer), just kept saying over and over "Oh, that's nice".
    NOW, I'm REALLY curious. :confused:

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Whats to trip about.its cheaper than the FM Acoustics Pre Amp and Krell Power Amp that Anthony Jackson uses.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    THIS is cheaper?! Good lord! :eek:

9. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    It sure looks pretty. Maybe not 10K pretty;) ...

Travis

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Because some peoples' egos and insecurity issues are attached to how much they spend - not what they can hear.

I'll guaran-gotdam-tee ya, your audience won't like your sound any better if you are playing through one of these pieces of engineering radicalism or whether you were playing through a good ol' SWR/Carvin R stack/Ampeg SVT/et al. Wayne Jones cabs seem great on paper but I don't want to incur the cost of them being imported from Australia.

Brand name is why some people can sleep better at night - knowing they spent $15k on their Alembic bass and $8k on their Glockenklang amp while their audience couldn't care less. If they're playing for a sophisticated audience who remains seated the whole time, instead of a bunch of party animals (my audience :D ) then I understand why one needs a 24k gold preamp chassis.

This brand of amps (link below) has the same kind of "trying to compesate for a small pee-pee" phenomenon going on -
    http://www.alessandro-products.com/main.html

Like a Glockenklang, these amps are cool if you live in Europe and don't have to pay for the trade barriers the US has set up.

11. rickbass

Thank ya, JMX!!! If the cost doesn't justify the result, it's all mental masturabtion and/or placebo effect.

12. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Before you pass this off as an overpriced boutique toy, you might want to check on his background:
    AAD Sound

13. rickbass

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yes indeed, he has quite a history of producing overpriced boutique toys!

j/k couldn't resist. :) Yes looking at his previous work I do see a lot of ingenuity and some well-received products. I think the guy knows what he's doing, especially as far as speakers are concerned.

But I still think a $10k bass head with 99.9999% pure or whatever copper wiring is ridiculous.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

16. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Great post Brad. :)

17. I don't have any kids, no wife, mortgage, car,or a social life, I eat a lot of ramen noodles. But I've got 3 Wayne Jones cabinets, and they ARE the best thing I've ever heard. :D

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I love a bassist with priorities;)

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Absolutely. Some things are made predominantly to draw attention to a marque. The auto industry is an excellent example. By those standards, we bassists get off pretty cheap;)

On that same note..

Imagine you're well off (if you have to imagine that... I know I do)... after you've given to charitable concerns and done something to help mankind, maybe you'd like to indulge in some toys (or tools). I'd no more begrudge someone buying a Phil Jones than I would them buying 22" chrome wheels to put on their Hummer with that same amount. Why should I, it's not my money and it never was going to be so knock yourself out. Beats putting it up your nose.

I have no idea how much money I'd have to have for this kind of spending to seem justified so I can understand the attitudes posted here but if I could afford it... who knows?

20. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Brad - thanks for the help! Like I said, my drummer came back from NAMM and told me that the Phil Jones stuff was nothing short of incredible. He knew I was interested in Ashdown, but went out of his way to bring me this stuff. I'll try to scan, convert and post what he has in his brochure. In short, it says that Phil Jones wanted to be a bassist for a living, but his parents dissuaded him (he's shown with a custom Ken Smith bass in the brochure), and he wound up with a degree in engineering. After building the stereo systems (anyone familiar with his stuff?), he decided to move back to his love of the bass. I won't argue that he's definitely going for the pro crowd who can afford this type of gear - I'd almost say he's a step beyond the rich status seekers. I'd still LOVE to hear one of his amps, though.