Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

10 reasons it sucks to be a bass player(in no particular order)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by frankencow150, Jul 7, 2002.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    1-Girls like the lead singer more than you.
    2-If the lead singer is not available, girls will go to the lead guitar player, not you.
    3-Gear is more expensive.
    4-If you wanna solo, its gotta be really fast, complicated and covered in effects.
    5-People will ask you to play rap songs on bass,because rap songs have "phat" basslines.
    6-Bass has 4 strings,therefore its very easy to learn and succeed on it.:rolleyes:
    7-When you go to the bass section all you can hear is "higher ground".
    8-No matter how good you are Fieldy can still make "cool sounds".
    9-Bass strings are soooo expensive!
    10-Wait,theres only 9 reasons it sucks to be a bass player!Theres gotta be way more for drummers and guitarists though...:)

2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    HEAVY gear... one of my pet peeves. (because I'm a weakling, of course)

Hearing "Hey, that one's got more strings... isn't it better?"

Also hearing "What bass? I can't hear it... Isn't that just the guitar?"

I'm sure there's more... I just get tired of hearing guitar players whine about carrying around their little combo amp like they were moving a sofa or something.

3. joke

joke

Sep 17, 2001
    What's wrong with "Higher Ground"?

4. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Requests for slap. In the context of punk.

Somedays I could just take a ridiculously large axe to someone's head.

5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Its a nice bassline but its probably the easiest that sounds good,and people always play it and then non-musicians think theyre phenomenal.

Yeah I hate the heavy gear too. Also,its hard to hear yourself when play with guitarists.

6. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    You, my good sir, are playing with the wrong guitarists.

7. if there are more than 2, you could get kicked out to be the manager...

8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    You must really hate that group of kids...:p
    Start your own band and mak it 10 times better than theirs,that'll teach em'.

9. thats what my guitarist and i did now e play the music we like

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    not in my experience.

again, not in my experience. i've always scored the best looking chicks at the gigs my bands played. (before i was married, of course)

i don't know about that - be glad you don't play a symphony instrument.

not true, but you do have to know what you're doing to make a good solo. music theory is your friend.

never happened to me.

hee hee. :D again, this just doesn't happen to me, wonder why. seriously, i never even dealt with this crap when i played 4 strings. probably because i didn't hang around wingnuts who would say that kind of crap.

it rules not to have to go to a music store to buy gear :D.

i'd pay good money, and a lot of it, to see fieldy try and play one of my basses. :D

work hard, get good, and treat bass seriously and professionally, and you can work towards getting an artist deal with the string company that you like. certainly helps on the wallet.

yeah, i think there are, a lot more :D

man, i don't know what it is, but i never deal with any of this crap.

11. tummage

tummage

Apr 23, 2002
    New Orleans, La
    Top ten reasons ala Dave Letterman:

#10 guys who can't play well, do any way, and force all the pretty girls to seek out the lead singer.

# 9 Said guys are ugly too and force the remainder of the pretty girls to seek the lead guitar player.

# 8 If untalented, ugly ogres could actually play well, money wouldn't matter, they'd have more gig's than just Moe's pizzaria on route 10 out by the airport on Tuesday night from 5-8.

# 7 If Tin earred, ugly, untalented bass players who can't play or get laid, do a solo. It's usually really fast, complicated and covered in effects, instead of rhythmically interesting, melodic and pleasant.

# 6 The aforemention miscreants, usually are put on the spot to play inane simple rap basslines, can't because of the previous reasons, and further alienate audiences for those who can and are willing to throw a fan a little respect and a snippet of a song, in appreciation of their being in the club, paying for merchandise, and having a good time, helping you to have a "good" night.

TABLE 5 YOUR PIZZA IS READY

# 5 Perhaps their lack pf physical prowess and mental abilities let's them assume that less strings means easier.

I pose this question to the board.

Is it not, in fact, harder to be proficient with less strings? After all would you take your car to a mechanic who's only tool is one wrench?

# 4 When real bassist go to a bass section, they are bombarded by, those who shall remain nameless, to get a free lesson and asked to show them the "right" way to play higher ground.

# 3 Sounds does not neccessarily mean musical. (see above 7 reasons)

# 2 Here we go. If they, those that are perpetrating a heinous fraud on the entertainment seeking public, could play, a world of free or very inexpensive strings would become available.
    ie; pretty girls with jobs that you meet at gigs go after work and buy you strings and never asked to be paid back. Good players give lessons aside from gigging and are usually affiliated with some type of store making strings highly affordable.
    And let's not forget King Conklin's suggestion of an artist endorsement.

# 1 Unlike the Forsaken, good players can "afford" to take a few minutes off from practicing, relax, and answer inane questions.

Hmmm. I have 10 maybe that's why I get the girls!

Before I married one that is.;)

All in Fun,

Tummage:D :D

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Its all about the mullet :D

I've never really had to deal with most of that stuff either. I had a guy tell me he didn't like bass because it was so simple and he only played guitar... well i invited him to come play my bass and show me a thing or two.... after humiliating him, i showed him the door and offered him some bass lessons.. i think he dropped out of school... i don't think that had anything to do with me though ;)....

13. If anyone asks me if i know any rap i play rappers delight cause thats the only rap bass line i've ever heared that i thought was impressive/groovy.

14. All I can say to that is....Thank God! :D

Lisa

15. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    Quote:
    Hearing "Hey, that one's got more strings... isn't it better?"

Man, that really sucks. look at my signature! of course, my guitarist buddy thought that. When I bought my bass, my guitarist friend had already been playing around a year about then. ( it didnt help he was a prodigy!:mad: ) but he made me look really bad for about the first month, he was just a jackass about it all the time, getting frustrated that i couldnt "jam" that well.

now, i am getting lessons, and after only 4- 5 months of playing, i am succesfully playing in a gospel church band (HIS church) and am gettting paid to do so. the guitarist friend is still practicing scales!!

=w=Slicks=w=

16. Can't say I have any of the nine plus problems mentioned. I can't think of any down side to playing bass. Well maybe one. Having to turn my amp off after the last song of the night. Bummer.

17. I'm not related to any of those reasons listed..

Maybe a fact that sucks to me is that being the bass player, you need more power to amplify your sound than other instruments, whether it is at a rehearsing or a gig (sp).
    I've always practiced with amps from 100 to 300 watts against 15 to 60 watts for guitars..

18. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    ....Hey John.. Fieldy doesn't play bass.. remember? HeS a PeRKuSsIoNiSt oN bAsSs...WOooOOrdD HomIe G. PiMp DaWwG

19. Another bad thing about being a bassist is that (IME) too much is expected of you. Whenever I sit down and play with some guitarist friends, they usually say something like "Play a cool riff to this!" and they go on and start playing the chords. Thats all fine, but it seems like pulling teeth trying to get them to tell me what chords they're playing. "Uhh I'm playing this one (shows finger position that I can't make out), I think its E or something." Heaven forbid I ask them what key its in.

Ya know? Its like they get mad that you don't improv. some amazing bass riff right on the spot. Well thats my experiance anyway...

20. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    "Wanna be in a band. We play easy stuff like Led Zepplin and Deep Purple" :rolleyes: