1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

10"s vs 12"s. What's better?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DrayHoleman, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrayHoleman

DrayHoleman Commercial User

Dec 29, 2011
    Katy TX
    Music Teacher, katyrocks.org, Owner, draysmusic.com
    From my limited knowledge, the larger the speaker, the lower the frequency it can reproduce.
    Then why are most multi-speaker bass cabs 4x10s or 8x10s?
    And guitars have 4x12s? or two of them?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Wrong, the speaker (no matter the size) reproduce frequencies they are designed to reproduce.

Marketing

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Do a search. Heart speaks the truth. Speaker size has little to do with cab freq range. Most 410s go lower than most 15s, Phil Jones cabs go low using 5" drivers, etc etc etc....

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    For a guitar player a 4x12 stack is a standard from way back. This is also true of the open back 2x12 format. Folk tend to buy what they are familiar with.

As James posted the thought that a larger cone equates to more lows is a myth plain and simple.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
  6. 412 cabs (one straight face and one slant face 412) was the gold standard Marshall guitar stack. 8 12" with 100 watt Marshall head produced a lot of sound in the days when PA's were lucky to cover the voice only. :)

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Not true. A dozen odd factors determine how low a driver may go. Size is not one of them. You can read about them here:
    Understanding Loudspeaker Data | Eminence Speaker
    Habit. There's no technical reason to favor them, and quite a few against them. But most players have no more knowledge about how speakers work than you do, so they buy what they see others using, who bought what they saw others using, who bought what they saw others using, ad infinitum.
    Because their knowledge of how speakers work is even more limited than yours. :D

8. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    It goes back to 'because that's all you could get at the time' eventually.

9. ^ Yes.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Not really, there were plenty of 2x12s, 1x15s and 2x15s in the 60s. Tens didn't become really popular until true bass tens became available in the 70s. I never bought into them myself, I used mainly fifteens until about 15 years ago.

11. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Yup. It used to be that 15's were the only speakers accepted for bass guitar. Now, I personally prefer 12's. But in the wrong cabinet, 12's sound no better than any other speaker when it comes to bass guitar.

It's not necessarily the speaker size. It's the cabinet.

12. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    I used 12" from '71 to about '78, then 12's + 15's to about '88. then back to 15's to about 2005 then 10's + 15's then only 10's now I am back to a paid of boxes with 15's and 10's but driven by separate heads and blended to room for volume and tone.

Also revisited 12's a couple of years back and didn't like them. Neither the punch and clarity of the 10's or the tone of the 15's.

13. JazzbassArt

JazzbassArt

Dec 12, 2004
    Andover, MN
    The vocal minority, pompus, berating posts, by people with secondary motives, is what drives me away from internet boards.

14. Sorry.....what???:confused:

northbynorth likes this.
  15. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Cabbage.

16. JazzbassArt

JazzbassArt

Dec 12, 2004
    Andover, MN
    Moderator deleted

17. geddeeee

geddeeee

Jun 30, 2006
    I cannot stand 10 inch speakers. Most tens 'fart out'. I'm not talking frequency ranges, just the fact that bigger speakers (12 or 15) seem to have a tighter, punchier bottom end.

I've been playing for 33 years now, and I have yet to find a decent 10 inch set up that does the business. Mixing 10's and 15's is a standard rig these days, but I don't see the point.

10 inch speakers should be consigned to computer subwoofers, where they belong!!!!!

18. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    quote moderator deleted

WOW Some one woke up one the wrong side of the amp today!! Most of mix matched ohm loads :p

19. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    I've had 215s, 115s, and currently rock a 210. I've owned 215s that sounded terrible and 215s that sounded great, likewise the 115s and 210. It really depends on the box, the driver, the amp & bass, and the bass player's ear & preferences. And all cabs can be pushed to overload (farting out) if enough juice is applied.

You gotta get in the the math of total cone area and excursion to get a sense of how much air is getting pushed but like James Hart replied early on in this thread, any given driver will reproduce the frequency response range it was designed to reproduce.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.