10 stringer - octaved... do they exist?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by troll, Feb 12, 2004.

1. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I dig the sound of the good old 8 stringer octaved basses, but they always are lacking the one thing I'd give up in using one, a friggin B. Why haven't I seen a 10 string octave bass yet? Any such beast around?

That'd be something nice to add to the arsenal.

2. Should exist, Warrior make 18 string tripled, so a 10 string doubled should be do-able.

Hamer might make one, I think I've seen someone with a few of them post a pic of one once. Either that or you may have to go custom.

Josh D
  3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Dean had one at NAMM, so they do exist.
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I was just reading about this last night over at www.12stringbass.net

Looks pretty cool!

5. I think our fellow TB'er Jauqo III-X plays one. Or is it a 15-string? :confused:
  6. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    That is what I am after. I don't care for 6 strings, but I love 5 strings, and I love the sound of a 12 string, so give me a 15 string and I'll be happy.
  7. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Well all be...
  8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Who do I have to kill for one of the Dean 10's? :crying:
  9. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Someone worth $939.99 retail?? :meh:
  10. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Manring has custom Zon 10 string. Of course being the insane bassist that he is, he does not always tune the pairs of strings to the same pitch. :D

11. John Paul Jones is using a five string now. I read that he has a stereo output so he runs the regular bass strings through a bass amp, and the high doubled strings through a guitar amp.
  12. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I think I'm going to get one. I'll let you guys know how it plays.
  13. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    John Paul Jones has a few 10-string octaved basses that were custom made. I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere.. anyone care to back me up?
  14. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    Can't back it up, but I've heard of JP's setup too.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    As we speak Jesse Blue(who is featured at 12stringbass.net) is finishing up my new 15 string Fretless(with a high C)Jesse worked on my first 15 string when we both were afiliated with Warrior Instruments and we have continued our relationship with the develpement of this instrument.it has a Fretless Graphite Fingerboard,neck thru,and Custom Villex Pickups and electronics among a few other features.
  16. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I was just waiting for Jauqo to surface on this one. :D -Luke
  17. Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada

12 String
    Maple Top
    Mahogany Body
    34" Scale & 2-1/8" Nut
    Black Chrome Bridge
    Black Grover Tuners
    EMG-HZ Pickups w/ Dean 3D Preamp
    Dean 2 Piece Anchor Bridge System
    Bolt-on Maple & Walnut Neck
    Rosewood Fingerboard
    Abalone Dot Inlays
    24 Frets
  18. i believe JPJ plays one in his solo projects

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have a 12 string Dean and for the money it is one of the best deals you can get on a new 12 string Bass.I played the new Dean 10 string at the winter NAMM show and as well another great deal on an Instrument that is considered an Odditie.
  20. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    John Paul Jones uses Hugh Manson basses now, two 12-strings strung BEADGC, a 10-string strung EADGC, an 8-string EADG or BEAD, an acoustic 8-string bass built by Hugh's brother Andy, and several other Manson instruments including a 4-string, a bass lap steel, a triple-necked mandolin, etc. All the basses are fitted with EMG pickups and wired in stereo, sending neck PU to SWR SM900+4x10+1x18 bass rig, bridge PU to Marshall guitar amp.

The Dean looks pretty sweet, I can't wait to give that a go.