Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

10" woofers and a 5-string?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Feb 28, 2005.

1. I searched for my answer and couldn't find what I was looking for so here it is. I have a 5-string and have been using a Peavey Basic 112 which has, not surprisingly, a 12" woofer. The 12 does a fine job of reproducing B-string notes. I am moving up to a head and need to get a cab. I want definition so want to avoid a 15", but I don't know if 2 10's would handle the B. Would they if they were Eminence woofers? Should I get a 2x12" cab? I want something small but with enough oomph to do a mid sized room.

2. SVT-3pro+BSE-410hlf=definition & pretty good depth; same head+avatar 2x10(deltas, I think)=loud, good cut-through & high-end, not enough bottom for me. I'm thinkin' a 2x12 would be loud, deep & nearly portable enough.

3. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Actually, speaker size alone doesn't tell the whole story. What is more significant, especially with smaller cabs, is the construction of the box. A 2x10 can definitely deliver good tone and coverage with a 5-string bass. However, you will definitely want to look at design characteristics of the enclosure itself. In particular, keep your eyes open for ported cabs. Ports are the key.

10 years ago, when I was playing 5-string exclusively, I was looking to downsize my rig considerably. I ended up buying a used Eden 210 cab that was ported at the bottom. (Many Eden models now are ported both top and bottom.) That cab really delivered. I still own it and it still sounds great.

Several of today's cabs are very well designed and can certainly handle the low B.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I've found that 2x10 cabs can certainly handle low B frequencies at moderate volumes. If you want to play loud, 4x10 (or 2 sets of 2x10's) cabs are better.

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I think you will find almost all of the better 210's an upgrade all the way around, and the B shouldn't be a problem unless you're pushing higher volume levels...

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    enter Acme's B2... ;)

if you dont need massive volume, yet still want your Low B intact, they're your cab. most regular 2x10's or cabs in general merely "present" the low B, and what you hear is more the upper harmonic frequencies. the B2 instead can fully reproduce that fundamental frequency for a truer feeling "punch" from notes lower than the E.

but take a look at any cab's frequency specs. if its at least 40Hz or lower, you're doing ok. mike dimin mentioned to me, that's what's also important is the decibel dropoff point, i.e. you'll see something like 35Hz @ -6dB, too, which is pretty darn good.

7. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Acme's are great... The B2 is compact, fairly light (about 50lbs) and can definately handle a low "B" all the live long day... But they are very inefficient (93db 1w/1m) and require a lot of power to drive them sufficiently at a decent volume. I'm sure everyone's sick of hearing about Schroeder Cabinets by now, but you'd be crazy not to at least consider them, especially in your case. All of the "Small Box" cabinets are light (45 to 48 lbs), very loud and efficient (102db 1w/1m) and have no trouble handling the "B". I have a 1210 which replaced an Avatar 4x10 cabinet. I cut my size and weight almost in half, all while sounding fuller and deeper than my old setup.

- Ugly.