Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

10 years gone RIP Kurt

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

10 years since the tragic death of Kurt Cobain and modern rock has still been effected by his contribution. RIP Kurt, may you have finaly found Peace with the Lord.

2. If I can remember, Nirvana got me into this music nonce. And Lynyrd Skynyrd, but mostly Nirvana. And I liked 'em before I heard "Teen Spirit"! :D

3. [edited] please. There are and have been plenty of other, more worthy artists out there who deserve alot more attention than Kurt got, and with some of them nobody even knows they exist. And the funny thing is, Kurt would probably agree whole-heartedly.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You are probably right that there were better artist that were unrecognized and that Kurt would have admited it, but few have made the impact that Kurt and Nirvana did. One of the things that made Kurt stand out was his recognition of those guys too.

I happen to be ahuge Nirvana fan and I always make it a point to remember what Nirvana did to influence me.

Peace
    Nick

5. MAJOR METAL

But i dont think none truly effected the generation in the 90's listening to "Alternative" Music the way Kurt did.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Lame. Just lame.
    :rolleyes:

7. Feel free to start a thread about them if you want. There isn't much argument that Kurt influenced and changed the course of music during his life and still now after his death, for the better or worse depends on your opinion, but he did it.

8. MAJOR METAL

Did anyone here read the biogrphy "heavier then heaven" , that ending man is some heavy stuff.

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    yeah ive read it. its the best nirvana biography there is :) really well written and researched :)

on the subject of there being "better artists" than kurt, please, of course there are "better artists" than kurt, far more skilled song writers and guitarists and singers.... but you dont know there names and you know his. there has to be something in that?

10. The thing is, yeah he had an influence, but just by way of being in the right place at the right time. I mean, let's face it; he wasn't that talented. People were getting tired of glam rock and were ready for a change, no matter where it came from. Here comes a dude who sings a little differently, comes up with some catchy tunes, then what happens? He gets adopted by MTV as their new poster boy and everybody follows their lead. He definitely wasn't the only guy doing things differently, musically speaking. The right place at the right time. And MTV.

And to top it all off, now his death is such a "tragedy" because he committed suicide. The way people are acting and the hype that MTV is giving his anniversary, it's almost as if his committing suicide made him that much more holy in everybody's eyes. Think about it; if had stuck around and weathered life's crap like stronger people do, he'd just be another rock star. Comitting suicide is the best marketing scheme for a famous musician; too bad you can't stick around to reap the benefits.

11. ok, other's have influenced the music too. fine. we can still celebrate Kurt's influence, which is undeniable.

you don't have to be popular to make a difference. look at jonathan richman. he's credited with heavily influencing the beginnings of punk in the early 70's.

where have you seen this guy? one place. he's the guy singing between scenes in 'there's something about mary'.

don't discount kurt's influence because he got famous.

12. There, fixed that for ya! :p

In all honesty, Nirvana was exactly what music needed at that time. It got co-opted into "grunge" by Corporate America, it spawned it's copycats and "lite" versions. I loved Nevermind, but by the time they were talking about "going to the Nirvana concert" on Saved by the Bell I was ready for them to go away. You still can't deny NIRVANA was responsible for that whole "new rock" or "alternative" revolution- and it was fun.

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Oh, so Kurt's death was a marketing strategy!

Thanks for clearing that up.

Peace
    Nick

14. :rolleyes: Read between the lines. My point is that his death has turned into a 3-ringed circus of tribute albums and teary-eyed VJs with Walmarts around every corner selling "RIP Kurt! Boo-hoo!" T-shirts. As for Kurt? Well, he probably knew damn well that he would live forever in infamy after his suicide.

15. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Sorry, I don't mean to get you guys a mad, bud the guy killed himself!!! I will not and can not have any respect for him.

16. Too late; I already got 'em mad ;)

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    People dont kill themselves and look for respect from anybody. They kill themselves because they have reached a place in their lives that is beyond what they are in control of.

As a person who has been touched by suicide in my life, i am shocked and appauled at your discraceful comments.

18. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Kurt was a lefty :D

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Cant you separate what people who have nothing to do with Kurt do from what Kurt did?

So if you are not saying that he did it for the hype what are you saying?

Peace
    Nick

20. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I am sorry to hear of your loss.

All that I was trying to say was that he killed himself, that is a very lame way to get out of your problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.