Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

.100, .105 - some advice

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by masshoff, Jan 28, 2004.

1. masshoff

masshoff

Jan 28, 2004
    Boston, MA
    i currently have .100's on my bass. i'm thinking of moving to .105's - but i am curious how this might affect the intonation.

i've recently had the bass setup and intoned with .100's - should i expect problems if i move to the .105's?

same question but reversed as well - should i expect intonation problems if i move from .105's to .100's?

i guess i'm trying to avoid any unpleasent suprises and not waste $$ on strings.

thanks in advance.

Mike

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Just because the intonation is off doesnt mean you wasted $ on strings. Just, re intonate it.

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    What Figjam said is true. It is not hard to reintonate the strings and there is plenty of help in the setup forum. There are some benefits to moving to a 105 IMO. One is better depth on the E string, the other is that the string is "stiffer" (more tension) and therefore sounds better and is more likely to stay in tune (not that 100's wouldn't stay in tune but I find that 105's move out of tune less easily).

Dan

4. The larger guage string will give you more tension and will change your intonation as mentioned above.

Intonation is not really a problem and can easily be adusted with a tuner and a screw driver. You may also want to raise or lower the action once you switch, do so by adjusting the saddle height.

Switching from a lighter guage string to a heavier guage, you will need to make sure the nut slot is wide enough for the heavier string, you do not want the strings to bind.

If you are still curious read these.

Bass Setup Manuals

[​IMG]

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html

[​IMG]

http://www.mrgearhead.com/faq/basssetup.html

[​IMG]
    Treena