100-200W Amps First/Second Hand - Help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Surreality, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Surreality

Dec 30, 2002
    Hey guys, great forums you've got going here,

Here's my quandry, been looking for a solid bass amp for a few weeks now in order to start playing some small live shows at pubs and hotels for between 100 and 500 people (approximately). I've spoken to a few people about the amps, not to mention visits to countless guitar shops. I think I'm right in saying I'm going to need between 100W and 200W in order to be heard over two guitars on about 100W and unmuted drums. Our band plays punk rock music, and so is naturally quite loud and the bass is a very important part of our sound.

I'm happy to go for a second hand amplifier or a brand new one, but I only have £200-250 to spend, and will only buy from a UK retailer/seller. Does anyone have any advice for me on where to look? Or does anyone even have a bass amp that they think will do the trick/know will do the trick that they can recommend or sell?

Thanks a lot for your time,

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Two 100 watt guitar amps will require more than 100-200 watts. 200 is getting close, but to be heard correctly, I recommend at least 300 watts unless you are going to be connected to the PA.

I would recommend Nemesis amps by Eden. I use a 2-10 combo amp with my band and it sounds great. They have a 225 watt power section, and are just enough for rehearsal against 2 100 watt guitarist, so I wouldnt recommend it for live playing without PA support.