Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$100 Budget

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by HHHolmes, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Yes - I'm a wealthy man! I'm looking to improve my sound and am considering getting a Bass Max. With a ceiling of $100 - is this the most bang for my buck?

I have a 3/4 Meisel, with an Underwood pup. I'm currently going into an Tube MP compressor (the one with the switchable voicings) and into either my GK or the board depending on the situation.

I've never tried the Bass Max, but it seems to get favorable (& often) mentions in the different postings I've read here.

Of course - if anyone's got to much money & wants to send some my way - I'll be glad to spend more.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    AAAnd I've been one of the ones posting the reviews. There are a few around here who don't care for the sound as much, but for the most part the reviews are positive, if not glowing. GGGood luck. :)

3. Whoops - did I get it backwards - is the K&K the pre-amp & the Bass Max the pick-up?

I guess the correct question is - What's the best pre-amp I can get for $100 (or so)

4. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Check out a used Tech 21 Acoustic DI. The are on Ebay all the time. I had the K&K powerpack and thought it only added to the electric sound of the pickup.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

K&K is the parent company which makes many bass related products. The Bass Max is a wing mounted pickup, and the Power Pack is one of many available preamp configurations they make. I haven't had the same negative experiences with K&K preamps that the previous poster reports, but all basses and amps react differently to these kinds of things. One of these days I need to put together some really comprehensive links for pickups, preamps, and amps, but I imagine you'll want to spend your money way before then. For $100, you're probably looking at a K&K pre if you want something new, and - as SMITHBARNEY points out - your options increase a great deal if you decide to take a chance on a used unit. Again, best of luck.