1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

100 Greatest Rock Bass...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bocasfx, Jun 26, 2007.

1. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Well, the fact that Glenn Hughes (formerly with Deep Purple, Trapeze, other and now solo) isn't even on the list leads me to believe whoever put the list together really needs to do some more research. Also, there are a few on there I don't think I'd classify as "rock" bassists. Even so, it's a fun list to review.

Craig

tangentmusic likes this.
  2. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    WHAT?!! Flea before Marcus Miller, Les Claypool, AND Bootsy?!!?!?!

(sighs and walks away; head shaking in disbelief....)

47th Street likes this.
  3. They forgot Peter Hook too.................!

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    According to another thread, it's all about the marketing and not talent.

5. hmm, the other lists on that site are pretty messed up too

neil peart is 55th for best rock lyricists

6. DaddyGreenJeans

DaddyGreenJeans Guest

Jun 19, 2007
    Denver Colorado
    I am happy to see 2 of my favorites are rounding out the top 5, Chris Squire, and Jack Bruce. but *** at John Paul Jones at 21? I also think Glenn Hughes should make an appearance on the list, and be pretty far up there to boot.

7. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Well...he did write 80% of Rush's songs, for what thats worth.

8. What I found interesting was that Victor Wooten made Most Skilled , and yet didn't rate in the top 100 Best!!
    And Enwhistles version of The Real Me, IMO, was overshadowed by Johnny Rod (WASP), yet it made it into the top 5.

9. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Well, Victor Wooten doesn't play "rock"....the site said "Most Skilled all Genres".

Jaco not in the top 3? Tsk tsk...

10. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Possibly because Wooten isn't a "Rock bassist." At least they got it right in his case. Still can't understand why there are so many others on the list who are not Rock bassists.

11. OK, OK. Jeez. So I'm guilty of not reading ALL the facts first. But like CraigC said, there are also a few bassists on the list who I wouldn't necessarily consider rock bass players either. But, I see the error of my ways. Thank you all so much for pointing that out. lol

12. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I wasn't trying to give you a hard time (well, maybe just a little ;) ) I was more trying to point out the overall inconsistency of the site. Gotta wonder why someone would go to all the trouble of assembling lists that are so flawed.

Craig

13. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    wait... Tim Commerford and Lee Sklar didnt make the list?

and Crazy train is 112 on greatest lines?

14. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    Jaco doesnt play Rock.

15. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Inactive

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    I still Les Claypool is the most fun to listen too.:hyper:

Its puddin time:

16. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
  17. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    I knew somebody wouldn't read into that properly...we were talking about the side list at the bottom of the page with the title, "Most Skilled:All Genres". This is where you'll find wooten's name, Jaco, and some other jazz players....I'm well aware Jaco doesn't play rock young lad...

18. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Good to see that Rex Brown made it although I would have had him in the top 20 at least if you're talking "rock". And I'd question a LOT of those as well - Justin Chancellor isn't on there and neither is Mike Inez. Both great bassists who are inarguably better than a lot of others who made the list.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021