1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

100 Historic Black Women Guitarists and Bassists You Need To Know

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DanTheQuaker, Feb 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanTheQuaker

DanTheQuaker Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    Lammchop93, GregC, 31HZ and 24 others like this.
  2. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I guess Brittany Howard (Alabama Shakes) being mixed race disqualified her from the list.
    Not so the "Unknown" people randomly holding guitar shaped objects. But I "Need to know" them.
    Interesting clickbait.

Boom762 and GreyMark like this.
  3. DanTheQuaker

DanTheQuaker Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    Re-read the first two paragraphs and it may reset your expectations accordingly. To wit:

Last February, we published “50 Historic Black Women Guitarists and Bassists You Need to Know” to showcase the influences that black, indigenous, and Afro-identifying women musicians have had on music history. For 2020, we updated the list to 100 black women guitarists, because we should constantly be celebrating the innovation, resilience, and talent of black music communities. For this particular list, we choose to focus on black women guitarists and bassists from prior to 1999. We did this specifically to showcase the legends—many of whom unfortunately have been overlooked, dismissed, or forgotten—that should be recognized as pillars of music history.

FilterFunk, GregC, kev451 and 9 others like this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I like guitar players that are good at the guitar. Their gender or ethnicity doesn't really matter to me.

5. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    This thread is going to trap all the outraged loudmouths like flies in a jar.

GregC, Craig4003, Haroldo and 23 others like this.
  6. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm not usually a list guy, but I enjoyed the videos on that list and it was nice to see people like Laura Love and others get some props.

7. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Fair enough.
    So a random, anonymous lady sitting under a tree with a guitar across her lap is a pillar of music history.
    Got it.

8. The historical context of that photo is in the caption. Some of the photos chosen are representative of particular eras, not so much the women themselves, but the fact that music has been a part of history throughout the ages. That woman in the photo is dressed in a way that evokes a certain era in black history. She might have something to teach you if you were to become curious about her life and the reason she might be sitting under that tree.

Not sure why this list is so upsetting for you. The majority of those women in the list are, in fact, pioneers who are well known to music historians and are people I've heard of. If it isn't of interest to you, maybe just scroll by? Not everyone is curious about history.

lowdownthump, GregC, Haroldo and 23 others like this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Being of “mixed race” should therefore disqualify most African Americans, since as a group, African Americans tend to be a bit more than 20% “white” genetically. For most of American history, people of mixed race, even people who looked nearly white, were legally and socially treated as Black. It is striking how so many ignore that fact when it is convenient to do so.

I have made it a habit to avoid discussion of race because it is against TB policy, and I have no desire to fall down a rabbit hole arguing about race, but it is Black History Month, and a post like this should not be a source of controversy to a reasonable person.

This is all I will say on the subject.

10. sing-modulator

sing-modulator

Nov 23, 2014
    IL
    It's awesome to see those pictures of the all-women jazz groups, i almost never see women in jazz in older photography! Very cool finds, and a really nice example of representation.

11. nilorius

nilorius SUSPENDED

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Yeahh....right !!!!

12. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    I was surprised at the number of female musicians from the '40s, '50s and '60s. I was expecting a greater number of contemporary artists.

13. Copperhead

Copperhead Still creakin' around. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    I learned Lady Ella didn't invent scat. :woot: . Surprise surprise !

14. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Celebrating the contributions of African-American female musicians to our musical heritage in no way detracts from the contributions of musicians who are not in either of those demographics. It is merely a way for us to recognize the value this group has brought to us over many decades. I think this is especially important considering that both of these groups have been overlooked for so long. And I am not just talking about a picture appearing in an article. I am talking about the loss of real economic, social, and political power that females and African-Americans have experienced. In this case, it is persons in both demographics, a double whammy. Perhaps, for this moment, we can honor these people without concerning ourselves with who may be overlooked in such a celebration.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    If we're talking about guitar players, I judge their merit and honor their contributions by how well they play. Categorizing them based on other attributes has nothing to do with how well they play the guitar. Groups of people have been persecuted for reasons other than their character and their merit, and that's wrong and it's dumb and it's one of the worst aspects of our species. Judging people by the content of their character and not the color of their skin or how their reproductive organs work, is one of the greatest ideas ever conceived. I like it. It's how I strive to judge others. I'm not interesting in being told what "I need to know," as the article mandates. But I'm not oblivious to how these kinds of conversations are expected to go and for me to say anything other than this is wonderful, paints me as a bigot, so I'll leave it there and move along.

16. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Everyone please take note that Gorn has registered his sanctimonious outrage over this article two times and has preemptively sacrificed himself as a martyr to political correctness.

GregC, Haroldo, As5Hat and 11 others like this.
  17. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Outrage ≠ unpopular disagreement.

comatosedragon and 2112 like this.
  18. Haven't gotten through all of them yet, but quite a few already I hadn't heard of before. Good stuff.

19. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Music has no color.

2ndBassGuitar, trofud and swink like this.
  20. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, chaat enthusiast Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Yep. Taking notes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.