Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

100 Or 300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alx564, Nov 17, 2000.

1. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey Guys,
    I just got a new bass and I decided that I should get a good amp to go with the better bass. Right now I just have a crappy practice amp thing. Its 50W and I hate it. I have been playing for about a year and have gotten pretty good. I was wondering what you guys think, should I just get a 100W or 300W amp. I am not really in any bands or anything where I would need a super huge amp to perform. I want to start a band with my friends once they are good enough though. I would get it for Christmas so price isn't really a huge thing for me. Could you also give some suggestions on what kind of amp I should get. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I hope you have your flame retardant undergarments ready :)

There is a long running debate here about just that. There are some that say 100 and some that say 300.

My answer is still the same YES/NO/MAYBE/DEPENDS

So the factors. If the band has a decent PA you can use a 100w amp as a monitor. Run a lead from the DI or line out to the mixer/DI box.

If the band has a string section or flute then the sound engineer will demand low stage levels.

If the guitarist(s) has a Marshall half stack at saturation
    then you will need a 400w stack or more. The rule of thumb is about 4 times more watts than your guitarist.

If money and spending it is no problem then go get a really powerful system. If you are on a budget then buy a 100 watter and upgrade later. Also try to get a combo that has an extension speaker.

If you can live with your existing amp use it until the band thing heats up and buy whatever the situation demands using the above factors.

Above all suit yourself and not others. Its your ears and wallet.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  4. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey,
    Could you recommend any good 300's that I should look for.

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    No prob. Eden WT-300 Traveler. Or get the WT-400.

6. LOL!!! hm... since i'm gonna be an eden person, then maybe i should jump on the trend and only recomend eden gear! actuly, if you want like a quality combo, thats 300watts, then look into the fender bassman 400. its 350watts through 2 10"'s. You can generaly find them for around $900. OR... you could go with Eden, and get the Metro, which is 350watts though 2x10, and you can add an extenion cab which you cant with the bassman. down side? its $1,500. your choice. also, though, with the metro, you have the choice of using a solid state pre-amp, or a tube preamp, which is pretty cool.

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Take a guess who the pro300 camp are :)

8. ulf_kurt

ulf_kurt

Feb 10, 2000
    Umea, Sweden
    If money is no object!?...buy as much power you can get your hands on. :)

Also check out the different sizes and weights on amps. In the end its you who're going to carry it around.

good luck

cheers Ulf/

9. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    What do you want to hear?
    300?
    OK, you need 300. period.

I guess there are so many 50-200W combos in the shops because nobody can use them, so nobody buys them. I just wonder why the manufacturers haven't realized that yet.

Matthias

10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    People buy the 50w to 200w amps for practice amps. I have one myself. If you're going to own one amp, or you already have a 50-watter, then you'd be silly to buy less than 300. 600 is better.

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Whats the difference in db's between 100 and 300?

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Less than 5 dB probably. What's the difference in headroom? (a lot)

13. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Personally having just upgraded to 200w last week, extra headroom is nice but in the end I think each case has to be judged on an individual basis.

As stated before (another thread) the best system I have tried EVER was a WT300/EU208 but I would not recommend it to a beginner or someone who was on a budget.

Nice discussion see you next time. :)

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    200W practice amp? ROTFL

Is that with one or two 8-10 cabinets?

I don't know where you've been hanging out, but I see lots of 100-200 watt amps in use on bandstands.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I use a WT-300 with an EA VL208 - check my profile - I would recommend it to a beginner, but not someone who was on a tight budget. ;) And yes it's the best sound I've ever heard too!

Seriously though, it's not that loud and I use this combination for small gigs and practice only - I need to add a 1 X 15 for most gigs. I know a pro Jazz bassist who uses a 700 watt amp for small gigs!

16. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    What about GK combos? They have a couple of new tilt back models this year that look pretty good. I own a guitar amp by them and spent last winter gigging coffee houses with the mb150 model. My impression of them is a reputation for durable, accurate, and portable gear. Worth taking a listen, I think. If I were in the market for a giggable combo amp this would be on the short list.

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/PRODUCTS/COMBOS/1001RB210/1001rb_210.html

Even though Eden make a lot of people happy, I have yet to be impressed by the sound of their gear. I never tried it on stage, but detected a noticeable lack of oomph at the store. Perhaps I need to try just the right rig.

jc

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I have a simple yet effective philosophy which is applicable to this and many other decision making processes I'm faced with:

It is better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

If you can afford a good reliable solidly built 300 watt amp, get it. Remember, you can always turn down, but you can only turn up so much before your master volume knob stops (even Spinal Tap's amps only went to 11 ;) )

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - it's too late when you find yourself at an important gig where people have come along, say to hear you to decide on whether to hire you, and the amp is maxed out, the bass tone is distorting and you can't hear a note you're playing!

Far better to have more than you need and turn down, than the other way round!!