100 Watt combo amp advice needed.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RandomBox, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Once I pay off the Ric I have on layaway, my next priority is a better amp. I don't think I need a cab and amp head (only been playing about a year and a half or so). However, I feel like my 25 Watt ampeg BA108 just isn't cutting it. I feel like a 100 watt would be more useful for band practice, or if I ever needed to play a small gig (which honestly is a low chance.)

Currently looking at either a 100 watt ampeg combo I played at the store, or an Orange Crush PIX (or whatever its called).

Anyone have experience with either of these? The ampeg I played with a bass similar to mine, and it plays really well, but I'm worried since my practice amp tends to buzz and vibrate on certain notes.

2. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Look for a used Ampeg B-100R. You'll be happy!

3. bassguppy

bassguppy

Jan 8, 2003
    Queens

I was just going to suggest this.

4. jason the fox

jason the fox Often rocks and rarely rolls.

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Ampeg BA115 is a great 100 watt combo.

I used one for practice/rehearsals and small gigs for years and I've got nothing but great things to say about it.

Durable, great tone, versatile, more than enough power for jams with 1-2 guitars and a hard hitting drummer, and adequate guts for small gigs, provided there's PA support. Nice features too. I'd check one out (or maybe thats ampeg you mentioned you've already tried)?

5. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    How much you wanna spend? Playing a new Ric, you MIGHT want to try a few different amps, although the Ampeg is a solid combo.

6. The old Hartke Kickback is nice- 120 watts that feel like more. 100 watt Ampegs are IME nice too.
    :)

7. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    +1 on the B-100R Rocket 100W combo. Great amp.

Dan

8. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas City
    +2 on the Ampeg B100R

Avoid the B200R - twice the power but very poor reliability, especially the later ones.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Which ever amp you get, add an HPF/pre v3(about $100) from TBr fdeck. It'll protect the low end of your speakers and allow you to get a clearer tone at a higher volume. Also think about adding compression. It helps tamp down spikes in volume, evening out your tone and protecting your speakers as well.

TB thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/fdecks-hpf-865291/

10. Well the Ric itself is costing me 418 a month after the $650 down payment. That's pretty much my entire paycheck each month. After that, I can probably use my BA108 until I can save for a better amp. I may just go with an Ampeg BA115, I tried one at GC a while ago and it played pretty well. I just need something to play at band practice or possibly at a small gig if my band ever gets off the ground. I can't get my 25 watt too loud without it buzzing and rattling.

11. Thanks for advice guys. I went to GC today and tried the Ampeg BA115, and it was okay. But then I tried a Peavey Tour TnT 115 combo and it blew the ampeg away. And its 600 watts, which means if I ever need to play live, it'll be more than enough.

I also tried an Ampeg SVT, but it was too expensive and I don't quite need a cab yet.

12. DLESSING

DLESSING

Apr 1, 2010
    +1

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021