100 watt combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basserman44, Jan 4, 2001.

1. i'm loking into getting a 100 watt combo, i know its not enough power to have a gig with, but its a step up from a little 25 watt crate. and for that reason i want one that has the line out option, so i can run it through a p.a. i'm looking at the ampeg b115, ampeg b100r, and the crate bx 100. all of these have the line out, my price range is up to 500 bucks. what do yall think of these amps? and are there anymore out there i should be lookin at??thanks in advance.

2. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    I've heard great things about both of the Ampegs that you mentioned. I own the Crate BX-100 and love it. Check out my review of it in the reviews section. If you could find one for a good price, a SWR Workingman's 15 would also be an excellent choice (which would also net you 160 watts of power or 200 with an extension speaker if I remember correctly).
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'd take either Ampeg over the Crate (played 'em all). Guess what...Crate and Ampeg are made in the same factory by the same company (St. Louis Music)!

Actually 100 watts IS enough to gig with, I used to use a 75 watt 1-15" combo back in the 80s for many, many gigs. It's only if you have to compete with super-loud bandmates (who won't keep it down) that you'll need more power.

Keep in mind that $500 will buy you a USED amp like maybe a GK 400RB (200 watts) plus a decent speaker cab and that may be a better way to go than buying a new combo.

Good luck.
  4. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I've got an SWR Workingman's 12, which is a 100 watt combo. You can pick up a new one for $500, and used models in good shape typically go for $350-450, if you can find one. It's not going to blow anyone off the stage, but it has plenty of power for a small to medium sized gig and I'm very happy with mine. It's worth checking out.
  5. I use a Fender Bassman 100 with my P bass, for a fairly old fashioned retro sound. I gig with guitar and drums, and don't mike up in the smaller bars. It is more than adequate. The Ampeg BA115 is very fine too. Trace Elliott make a more modern sounding 130 watt 12" speaker combo which is fine.

I also play in a small bar with a country trio...we are bass and 2 guitars. No drums. I use a 25 watt BXR amp for that gig, and do not need to mike up. It is not a very noisy bar, though!
  6. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I picked the Crate BX-100 over either the Ampeg or Fender combos. Everyone has a certain sound they like. I'd definitely recommend taking your bass into the music store and trying them all out with your own bass before making a decision.
  7. bass4god

Jan 1, 2001
    100 watts is enough for most gigs I've done. My Crate just died after 6 years of service, but I cut the top off and have a great 15" bottom after some modificatios. I bought the SWR Working Man 10 to replace my Crate which puts out 100 Watts when I plug the crate bottom in to it. The cool thing about it is that the WM10 is only 31 lbs and puts out a a great sound over drums and a blues guitar. The 15" JBL/Crate cab defines the low b string and the amp handles it well!! I would consider this set up for shear logistics purposes...

8. I own the Fender Bassman 100 and I like it alot. I have also played crates and they are also good. I would go with one of these over the ampeg.
  9. spoolie

Nov 30, 2000
    Used them all on gigs at one time or another - either of the Ampegs you mentioned - "new issue" Fender Bassman 100 - used SWR Workingmans 15 (usually lots of these on Ebay). The Crate won't have much resale value - the Fender a little better - Ampegs even better - SWR best resale. Listen to all and chose the sound you like best. Don't overlook the Fender - the new line it a HUGH improvement over their old line.
  10. I've got an Ampeg B-100R. I tried out the Crate, the older Fender BXR-100, and the Ampeg BA-115 as well as the B-100R. I like the older style sound from back in the 50s/60s. The B-100R delivers this in spades. The BXR was muddy, the Crate to trebly, and the BA-115 close, but not close enough. I don't knock the others, just state that the B-100R gave me what I wanted. Try them out, gig with them if you can, only then will you know for sure.

I use this amp for all of my smaller venues. I play in few clubs though that require the services of my Peavey Firebass.