1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

100 watt Marshall Clone for Bass (Bugera 1960)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MOTORHEADBANGER, Jan 18, 2012.

1. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    A friend of my drummer is selling his Bugera 1960 that he bought three months ago (still valid warranty) for $240. From what I was told his wife just bought him an Orange Dual Terror for their anniversary so he's selling this for some extra cash. I've been pondering the idea of using it for some rock gigs and recording, but I'm not 100 percent on it yet. I love the older Marshall tube tone, the weight isn't a killer, and from the reviews I've read it is a very good head for the money (especially compared to the rest of the Bugera line up).

What do you guys think? I plan on using it with a heavy rock/vintage metal group that tends to play small/medium venues and with my piccolo bass in a jazz group that I jam with. My other head is a Hartke LH500 and I'm curious to what the volume comparison will be like. Cab-wise, I use either a GK 410 Neo or an EV 115 and borrow a second 410 for certain outdoor shows.

2. Hi.

Haven't played the Bugera, but back in my teens, 100W Marshall (1959) or clones (Monster) was about all that I played through. Later I also had MIG100 for a while.

If the OT is as beefy in the Booger as it is in those older amps, it's a good source for vintage bass tone. It won't be up to todays standards if deeper bass is required, that's for sure.

IIRC, there was a lenghty thread about using Bugera 1960 for bass about year ago.

Regards
    Sam

3. MOTORHEADBANGER

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    I'm definitely not going for a modern tone, more of a thick midrange-focused rock tone. My main bass for this will be a Fender PJ with a passive Duncan (either Antiquity or Basslines) precision pup and a DiMarzio jazz pickup.

4. Hi.

That it should do.

Here's a few threads about the subject (including this one, obviously). The one I was thinking about was started in -09.
    How the time flies when You get older :(.

bugera 1960 - Google Search

Regards
    Sam

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Is it the "Infinium" model?
    If so, that's a great price.

6. MOTORHEADBANGER

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    I'm not sure. I'll have to check. I would guess it is the regular 1960, but it could be the infinium.

7. Infinium has red and black tolex and a Master volume

8. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I ran my guitarist's Marshall JCM 900 through a 410 at practice one, just for fun, and it did not have nearly enough bass for me to ever consider using it ever again. Even with the bass knob cranked it was no good.

9. The JCM 900 is a totally different beast from the 800. I played through my guitarist's 800 and it was plenty beefy. The 900 is much higher gain, more of a Van Halen tone.

It's funny that this thread popped up, because I just closed a deal on a 1960 myself today. I was about to post in the longer thread about it until I saw this one. I'll hopefully have a full review and vid in the next week or two.

10. Hi.

JMC900 (just as JMC800, or JMP, or JTM) is the line of amps and cabs, not a specific amp.

So, what was it?

"Not nearly enough bass" compared to what?

Regards
    Sam

11. Hi.

Congrats on the NAD.

Regards
    Sam

12. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    It was a 100w Marshall JCM 900 amp through a Crate 4x10 bass cab. It did not have enough bass for my particular taste in that particular band situation. The gain was lovely though, nice crunchy cutting tone, just wish it had more bottom.

At the end of the day though, i guess this really has nothing to do with the head in question... :p

13. I am using the 100 watt Lemmy series Marshall head. It would make people lose control of their bodily functions if I actually used it at a level over 1 or 2. Insane head.

if this thing is anywhere close to mine it's a keeper.

14. MOTORHEADBANGER

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    I'm looking forward to it, but I don't get paid 'til this coming week, so it will be a few before an official NAD and review. It's funny because I am actually doing some Motorhead with this particular band, so I figure it would handle that very well. I've heard the LEM is a great head, but isn't it pretty heavy gain even at "low" volumes? I'm looking to have a somewhat clean tone on at least a few songs. I'm pretty convinced by the reviews on here that the Bugera is definitely worth the price. Sure the tubes are probably the cheapest they can find, but a couple EL34's aren't that expensive, and are worth it for a Marshall-style tube head under $300.

15. MOTORHEADBANGER

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    It's been a few days since I've updated and unfortunately I have bad news. The guy sold it the day before I got in touch with him. The good news though is now I'm in the market for a used Bugera 1960.

16. Mine is due to get here on Friday. If it doesn't do what I want it to in my setup, I'll let you know ... ;)

17. I had one for a few months, it was a good head & plenty loud. I used it with a 610hlf & never had the volume past or near noon even live. I found it had decent lows for bass & a preamp tube change could improve it possibly to make it even better as the tubes are probably not quality. It was very well made especially for its price & my guitarist who owns 2 70's Marshalls was blown away & said he wouldnt hesitate to use one of these as a replacement for his amps. The volume knobs are very sensitive so balancing the inputs takes a delicate touch. I would gladly own one of these heads again, if I was looking for another all tube amp sleeper bass head this would be one of my choices.

18. Were you able to get any dirt/breakup out of it without going to eardrum-piercing volumes? Just wondering if I'm going to need to try an attenuator to get any dirt out of it.

19. RootNoteRadical

RootNoteRadical

Dec 8, 2011
    I'd love to hear what you think of the amp when you get it, keep us posted!!

20. I ran one of these in a hardcore punk / doom metal band that was very loud and a pedal was necessary for distortion. The amp is unbelievably loud for 100W. I ran mine through a Peavey 4X12TVX or Ampeg 810. It blew the V4B I had out of the water in volume (I prefer the 1960's tone as well)