1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

100 years ago today the guns fell silent.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    This is the full story,

bobba66 and 48thStreetCustom like this.
  2. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    The sad part is that this is what lead to Ludendorff to create the stab-in-the-back myth.

3. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    During the later part of the war you'd see thousands or German troops drop their guns and surrender, the allies would brag about it. The guys who surrendered in mass might be the people who stabbed Germany in the back.

4. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    The revisionists were always looking to find somebody to blame for losing the war. Only after WW2 did they come to grips with who started it. Sure, there was something of a domino effect in 1914. That's why we have institutions like the UN today.

the harp unstrung likes this.
  5. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    If I was starving, I'd probably surrender, too.

6. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    Even in 1917 they were doing mass surrenders. True they were not the best fed then but still able to resist.

7. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Wait, who's side are you on?;)

Rumbledore likes this.
  8. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

My grandfather served in that war. He came home with a number of ribbons and medals, including a purple heart and silver star. He was also shell shocked for a number of years. He died before I was born, and from what I can gather, never said a word about being in France. Ever.

9. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    Mancaveww1.

Well if I had to take a side I am of the opinion that you had the good guys and then you had the allies.

Photo of me in a German Bunker.

10. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    I was recently given my great-uncle's helmet, bayonet, and spats from his time in France in World War I. They came with four pictures of him in France, one of which is him sitting on an artillery piece. He was a motorcycle courier and had many close calls. He once left his bike to deliver a message and returned a few minutes later to find it destroyed by a shell. I knew him when I was a child, but I didn't know about his service in the war until recently.

It's hard to wrap my head around the number of men who died in that war....

11. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    I bet his bike was a 1918 Harley Davidson. Guy I worked had a grandfather who was a rider in the war too. He rode a Harley issued by the army tho not sure what his job was but he tried to ride out to a wounded man hit by shell fire and himself was killed outright trying to save the other guy.

12. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    There was a youtube show that put out a video every day of the war and followed it's timeline with it's programs. Here was the last show in the series.

13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    While i applaud the optimism of calling it the war to end all wars, i can’t see mankind ever being far enough removed from war that it becomes a cautionary tale from our past.
    IME as long as there are two people left on earth, one will be trying to exploit the other and will be happy to resort to violence if coercion fails to get the job done.

14. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    (Sigh)... You could have just given a joke answer.

fretter likes this.
  15. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Damned Euros dragged us in twice. WW1 and WW2.

16. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Are you re-writing history?

Pretty sure that there was some shots fired in anger in Hawaii that caused us to enter the 2nd one.

saabfender, GregC and drummer5359 like this.
  17. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    What for? The war was no joke.

18. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    The Germans bombed Peal harbor - Bing video

19. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Yeah, funny how that “us” you were referring to was made up of a large number of European immigrants. It’s not like the United States wasn’t dabbling in empire(Philippines, Cuba, Puerto Rico, pre-statehood Hawaii). We were well on our way to becoming a world power, the outcome of WWI just sped up the process, WWII cemented that position. 20th Century advances in transportation and communications was going to make it inevitable.

knumbskull, HaphAsSard and saabfender like this.