1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

$1000 Budget....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hummike, Mar 16, 2009.

1. hummike

hummike

Mar 16, 2009
    Hey all,

I've been playing bass for awhile, but due to being a student and moving around, I have yet to purchase my own, always been borrowing from friends, demo-ing, etc. I am now officially in the market and it is an exciting time!

I play some funky blues, jazz, r&b style stuff, so a melted crisco low-end is essential, but of course a little versatility is a must as well, so something with both some meat but also a nice smooth high end is ideal.

I have been directed (as I think most are) in the direction of a p-bass, but I wanted some other opinions on basses that might fit the above criteria.

My budget is $1000, give or take a couple hundred $$. There are many basses I would love, but please, no suggesting Foderas, etc. as I would also love to date a supermodel, but lets be realistic.

On a side note, I've never experimented with smaller basses, (ie. Mustangs, or similar sized instruments) and must admit that a faster neck is appealing to me. What are the implications in terms of tone, etc. with smaller basses?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Mike

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Can't really go wrong with a 2008/9 USA Fender Jazz or a Lakland DJ or JO.

3. upandb

upandb

Feb 18, 2009
    CT and NY
    is your $1000 just for a bass, or do you need an amp, too?

4. For fast necks and lots of tonal options I would get an Ibanez SR prestige (or try to find a used 07) also there are people that think the Cirrus line from Peavey are very nice. I thought I would give you a couple of options that most people won't give right away, that are nice, unique, and in your price range. If at all possible, try before you buy. All the best. Cheers.

5. 1000 bucks is to me the perfect realistic budget. You have options of lower end Boutique names and the higher end imported "off the rack" companies, and there are so many good choices there. If you spend a good deal on either side of that you probably have specific financial situation that forces/allows you to do so. My vote will be with used stuff, personal favorites being Modulus VJs and similar quality jazz copies in that price range. New I'd look to the upper end Lakland Skylines. A 55 series Skyline will cover the most basses (pun) for the money and you will love it. No matter what type of music you play a 55 will be able to find you a suitable sound. Maybe not the best thing ever for certain particular stlyes, but when versatility is king, they are awesome. And they are great playing and very well built to boot. They could sell for a lot more and still be worth it IMO. That being said, you have a ton of great options.

In terms of those short scale basses I like em, and you could get a Gibson SG (eb-3 reisuue) used for that money easily, but I found the sounds available from shrt scale basses to be too specialized to be your primary axe. I like them for older heavy rock stuff, but they aren't what I consider funky or jazzy. Just my pennies

6. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    In that price range, you might get a nice custom Clement bass. It's certainly a bass to consider for outstanding quality at a reasonable price.

www.clementbass.com

7. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    They look nice, indeed. Though this one looks off-center doesn't it?

[​IMG]

8. Hi,

For a bit less than $1k, you should be able to find a nice used G&L L2K. For a bit more, a new L2K.

edg

9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Go used! You'll save a handfull of cash. Explore your options that way. I am a big fan of the early 90's CIJ Fenders. Just got a 62 RI Jazz for $600 with Lindy Fralins installed and it KILLS. Good luck! It's a fun search, take your time and hopefully play anything you can before you buy.

10. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I would also vote for used. You can really upgrade your bass (if you want to spend the entire 1K) if you go used. You can get a real nice Fender AV series P (my current favorites) in that range. If you look for the older CIJ's you may even find it hard to spend the entire amount.

11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I agree, at $1k you can get a great bass in the used market, especially these days. I also think a number of types of basses could fit the bill, it all boils down to your preferences.

I'd take a look at the Lakland 44-02 and 55-02 (if you like active basses), Lakland Skyline Daryl Jones, Skyline Joe Osborn (each of which sometimes have preamps added), Fender '62 reissue P, '62 reissue J and '75 reissue J for starters. You can find all of them for less than $1000 in the used market, easily.

Those are just the things I have the most experience with. Take your time and try a lot of instruments.

12. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
  13. BassMaster4s

BassMaster4s

Jul 28, 2008
    Wind Gap, PA
    A stingray HH will cover all the areas you're talking about. Used is the way to go!

14. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I think a stock Lakland Skyline would fit the bill beautifuly... the right mods of a 55 01 would be scarey. The 55 02 is scarey out of the box.

15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    A Lakland DJ would be nice. An American Jazz would as well.

16. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    +1 to that!! Oustanding quality, reasonable price PLUS reasonable build time and a truly humble, personable luthier with a ton of patience!

17. the engine

the engine Guest

+1 on a CIJ Jazz. I found mine for $450 without a scratch on it! (a '93 model). That will leave you some cash to do mods if you want to (or put it in the bank). Good luck with your search!

18. studio848

studio848 Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    SoCal, SWFL
    get 2 - and buy used, not new -

go for a Fender Highway 1 precision, and a Fender Highway 1 jazz.

cover anything, and have a backup for gigs.

19. man you have alot of options wth that price range. personally i would buy used and get a normally more pricey bass. but if you had to have a new one i would go with a fender. factoring in that you have shopped around and tried everything first to see what felt comfortable to your taste. A $1,000 spent means you want your bass to stick around for a while ;)

20. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Hello! :)
    That's a bass Tom (Clement) built for me on my specs, and it's slightly offset from the center as requested. The thing is, I play the bass sitting down a lot, and I am pretty tall. I therefore specifically requested an asymmetric body shape to lift the strings a little further up from my lap when sitting, while still retaining the "petite" look and feel of Tom's instruments. Note also that the long extended lower horn moves the point of balance slightly towards the headstock, which makes the bass balance perfectly on your lap, too (no neck-dive at all).

The body shape can of course be adapted for a more traditional symmetric arrangement, too. :)

And did I say that it sounds awesome! The knob frenzy is a Mag/piezo balance, mag neck/bridge balance, three band Aguilar preamp, master volume and a passive piezo tone control.