1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

$1000 for a Hartke?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GODSENT, Mar 11, 2008.

1. GODSENT

GODSENT

Mar 2, 2007
    I don't know if you guys have seen the new hartke head. Its 1000 watts and it closely resembles an ampeg svt head. But what is really shocking is the price, american musical has it for $999! Do you think a harte head could really be worth that? The ampeg svt 6pro is the same price, allbe it is heavier and bigger...but would you pay $1k for a hartke head?

2. maybe. If it's worth it & sounds sweet.

At a time long, long ago Hartke was the pinnacle of bassgear. This might be an effort on their part to try to dispel all the mediocreness (sp) that tends to dog Hartke currently. Their new stuff which is not available yet may be very cool.

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Hartke also had some eden-esque problems back in the day with their heads crapping out for no reason when they were on the top of their game.

4. Ha!

5. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Weeeeellllll...they were a different and unique way of building speaker drivers that caught on with a fair amount of people. I don't think they ever were considered the pinnacle. And their amps have never been considered anything but workable and decent for the money.

6. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I doubt I would, but it's possible. It'd have to blow my mind, but it might. Haven't heard it.

7. Try it

Never judge amps by brand name and price. . .

8. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I have used a 4x10TP for years, now it is my practice cab. I owned a 3500 head for a short time and it was really good, I wish I would have kept it. As for $1000 for the new head, I would opt to see a year or two down the line if their reputation succeeds the product.

9. And mine was one of 'em many moons ago.

10. GODSENT

GODSENT

Mar 2, 2007
    Agreed, but it just startled me, because of the large price gap between it and everthing else in their line.....its gotta be something about it that makes them justify the $1000 price tag...........

11. arthurzen

arthurzen

Feb 29, 2008
    New England
    - Agreed. I had a Hartke 3500(?? the 350 watt head) and I got about 3 years out of it when it started to crap out. Had several techs work on it with no luck. Finally trashed it. Won't ever buy another hartke amp - not just because of this experience, but I never could get a great sound out of it either...

Their speaker cabinets, on the other hand, are excellent.

12. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    The old MOSFET heads sounded worlds better than the more recent Hartke offerings. Hartke might never have been top shelf gear, but at one time it was pretty high up in the middle shelf region. If this head is moving back to the older paradigm with higher wattage then it may very well be worth considerably more than their current heads. Many manufacturers mark their stuff up when first released. Perhaps the price will be lowered after a year or so.

13. [​IMG]

Very Ampeg, anyone tried it?

14. Pinnacle? Maybe not, but in the late 80s early 90s the GK head + Hartke 4x10 was a satndard, at least. Probably an equal number of backlines ran that as an SVT + fridge. But that was back in the day...

15. Damn!!! I just put my hand over the Hartke LOGO & thats an Ampeg ????????

16. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Actually, I have to play a lot of rented backline and most of the time it's a GK/Hartke rig to this day. I had to put a No Hartke thing on my rider to keep from getting them.

17. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    saw it at NAMM but it was just a proto as it wasn't "fully operational" :smug: at the time.

as for 1K for a "Hartke" head... well, as stated already, why the hell would you say that without even knowing what the thing sounds like or does? Ignorance is bliss I guess. And yes I did see your post about how shocking it was at the price gap between what Hartke normally puts out and the Kilo head but I remember way back in the day when Hartke wasn't inexpensive so no real shock here to see them back in the game of getting to be bordering on "kinda sorta expensive" a.k.a. "what every other head on the market goes for but seems to have better pedigree"

anywho, can't wait to play one, got's lots of fun packed into it but the basic LH series is where I'm at, just a plain and simple amp.... lets the fingers do the talking.

18. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    not "no GK" ?? :eyebrow:

:bag:

:D

19. GODSENT

GODSENT

Mar 2, 2007
    I hear everyone reffer to "back in the day hartke was...." well I don't remeber that, pertly because I'm only 22, and I've only been playing seriously for 6 years....and for about 3 of those years I didn't know jack about bass amps (partly because I was still perfecting the art of bass)

20. seriously guys just wait for a review.. not that im expecting the next big thing or anything..