Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$1000 for Circuit City

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, Mar 17, 2006.

1. I need a new TV/Sound System. Got $800 gift card.

Anyone want to make some suggestions? I have no idea what to get. I went looking around today and most of it was above my price range. What was in my price range were small flats which I didn't care for. I did see a Polaroid Flat Wide Screen that was real light and I believe HD ready for $699. Looked good, but small--I think 19 or 20 inch.

A non HD tube tv was a Sony WEGA 27 inch for $399.

I was eyeing for sound systems the 5.1 Onkyo which was $249 minus 10 percent. I'd buy new 16 gauge cables for it.

Anyone else want to make some suggestions? I want some good sound finally from a TV. I am pumped about getting one and want to buy it Saturday night.

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I have no advice on what to get, but wait til the next big sale. You might be able to fit more under your budget.

3. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
  4. Have you put any thought into a conventional tube TV with a wide screen format. They are capable of HD and have excellent picture quality. The only downside is that they usually weigh in at about 200 lbs.

This is a 30" wide screen HD for $629.99 on the C.C. web site.
    [​IMG]
    I would choose something like this over a TV that was flat panel but not capable of true HD. Of course this is if you are going to get HD service.

I got the Sony theater in a box system for about the same price and I'm plenty happy with it. I did the same thing with the speaker wire.

5. The quality of the Phillips just did not impress me, the picture was not as good as a Sony.

Yes. I'd prefer a widescreen. But High Defenition is not necessary for me. I don't need it and then have pay for it from cable.
    I Just have basic cable. I'd watch more DVDs and movies off it, and sports.

I was eyeing one of the tube Sony Wega's. Guy at my local store said they are getting the new ones in tonight--$399.

With the $250 sound system 5.1...and maybe an Ipod bay dock, I think I will be pretty happy.

Not widescreen though

6. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    The Samsung has Built in HD tuner. You can get all the locals in HD over the air for free. No need to up your cable service. And although it's flat front, it's not one of those uber skinny's. Also, the day is coming where all TV will be HD, in the next two years. Buying non HD now makes it obsolete very soon.

But heck, this is really about my needs for HD, isnt it?;)