1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

$1000 head / cab combo - Yorkie + ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wattoosi, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Okay, I've been reading a lot of posts on this, so hopefully I am a little closer to the "big buy" -- still saving up, if you know what I mean!

I am really impressed with the Yorkville XS-800H head. I like the idea of a tube front end. I do mostly straight playing, light rock, gospel, and am looking for solid bottom with plenty of grit and growl that has more of a "hi-fi" sound rather than muddy or vintage. The first amp I ever owned was a Crate 100w combo -- mud, dead, sold on ebay! Then I had an Eden Metro combo -- nice.

So, on cabs, to keep this short, what about these:
    Avatar Neo 410 <or> Ampeg BSE-410HLF???? I have not had the opportunity to play through either of these, so am only going on reputation, etc.

Opinions please!

2. I play a XS400H + Avatar B410 Kappa Pro (4-ohm) - which gives plenty of grit and plenty of volume. With the cab's tweeter you will get a full-range.

- Andrew

3. Cool. I did talk with Dave and he said the Neo did about as good with less weight. And I was hedging on the 4 vs 8 ohms. With that head, it would be 600w @ 8 and 800 @ 4, not so much of a loss at 8 ohms and I could still add another cab someday if I wanted to (which at this point, I would not think so).