Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$1000 head / cab combo - Yorkie + ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wattoosi, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Okay, I've been reading a lot of posts on this, so hopefully I am a little closer to the "big buy" -- still saving up, if you know what I mean!

I am really impressed with the Yorkville XS-800H head. I like the idea of a tube front end. I do mostly straight playing, light rock, gospel, and am looking for solid bottom with plenty of grit and growl that has more of a "hi-fi" sound rather than muddy or vintage. The first amp I ever owned was a Crate 100w combo -- mud, dead, sold on ebay! Then I had an Eden Metro combo -- nice.

So, on cabs, to keep this short, what about these:
    Avatar Neo 410 <or> Ampeg BSE-410HLF???? I have not had the opportunity to play through either of these, so am only going on reputation, etc.

Opinions please!

2. I play a XS400H + Avatar B410 Kappa Pro (4-ohm) - which gives plenty of grit and plenty of volume. With the cab's tweeter you will get a full-range.

- Andrew

3. Cool. I did talk with Dave and he said the Neo did about as good with less weight. And I was hedging on the 4 vs 8 ohms. With that head, it would be 600w @ 8 and 800 @ 4, not so much of a loss at 8 ohms and I could still add another cab someday if I wanted to (which at this point, I would not think so).