Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1000 Watt SVT II Pro "Premier Edition" on Ebay

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by r379, Jun 14, 2005.

1. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    There's a guy on Ebay that has for sale what he says is a "Premier Edition" SVT II Pro head which he claims is a 1000 watt head. Sorry; don't know how to paste (is that the right word?) a link to it. That's a little (or a lot) over the top. A 1000 watt SVT II Pro would be a LARGE amp. Maybe someone with more computer savvy than I can find and post the link.

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    its a 300 watt tube head, the guy doesnt know what he is talking about. Look closely by the speaker output jacks.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I emailed him and told him the same thing. He responded that right there on the back it says 1000 watts. It does say that but that still doesn't make it a 1000 watt head. Don't know what the 1000 watt stuff on the back means, 8mm, but I'll bet you do.

4. If this is the one you're talking about, the guy who's selling it has no idea what he's talking about. The SVTII is 300 watts, and it even says "300 watts at selected impedance" in the second picture down on the left.

5. It CONSUMES 1000 watts of AC to operate at max power. The guy is an idiot.

6. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    yeah, what he said ^

7. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Yeah, I saw the "300 at selected impedance" lettering. That, and the fact that 1000 watts would require (unless I miss my guess) about 20 power tubes making it a VERY large amp, made me more than a little suspicious of his claims.

8. pretty damned loud one too tho!

I know ampeg made a special limeted edition run of the 2 Pro, but i dont know what the difference is

9. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
  10. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Is it just me... Or has he put white tape over where the serial number should be?

11. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Sure looks like it, seems like another strike against him. Now you gotta wonder if it's hot or not.

He pegged the BS meter....bent the pointer, I'm gonna have to get it fixed.

No, he has no clue.... 1000 what's?

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    In the recent issue of Bass Player (which I don't have in front of me), I saw that Timmy C uses about four Ampeg heads that look a lot like that one. Or is he just playing the "regular" SVT-2Pro?

And for that matter, how do the SVT-2Pros sound compared to a vintage SVT? I know it's apples and oranges, but I'm just curious as to the overall sonic differences.

Tom.

13. Sonically completelly different, the SVT II is the closest out of recently made amps (i think)

[ this of course not including the SVP CL preamp ]

14. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    This guy should be punnished.

Lets build a 1000Watt All Tube head and make him sit in front of a cab while its cranked.

15. it would have to be a few cabs me things

then you could fry his face into the top of the chassis after it had been played for a bit

16. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    We did produce a limited edition of the units, back just before the change to the "SVT-2PRO" model designation using numeral 2.

That unit has the "II" instead of a "2", and has the stripes on the panel at top and bottom. It is fairly old, I don't actually recall the exact time period, I think very late 80's early 90's.

We had a bit of a "management fad" of limited editions. Usually they were not special other than just special cosmetics. Not "Shelby Mustangs"................

While we didn't make tons of these, they weren't limited to endorsers, and as you can see, there were 250 made of this version. So they aren't THAT rare.

So goes ebay......

17. thats interesting, i thought there was a period in the early 90's when both the SVT II and the SVT 2- Pro were in production

learn something new every day :)

18. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    well he corrected the auction.

19. CLJMB

CLJMB Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2005
    North Alabama
    I have an SVTII Pro Premier Edition. 300 tube watts that are louder than 1,000 solid state watts. Maybe that's what he meant??.... ;)