Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1001rb amp head setting.. how do i make my bass sound like a bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ziggywitaz, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Ziggywitaz

Ziggywitaz

Oct 6, 2005
    hey guys, i have a GK 1001rb and i have it running thru and ampeg pr-410hlf. ok so my bass sounds good for the most part but i can never find the right settings for the amp to make it sound great. does anyone know how to fine tune this amp head to give a really bassy sounds for alternative rock like a three days grace sound. also if you know a setting for a slipknot-ish sounds, something a little bit slappish. thanks a lot

2. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    set everything flat, turn up low mids and bass a smidge, turn up treble a smidge...boost tweeter and woofer flat, adjust boost, contour and presnce flat, have the 5+ string engaged.....

3. first, dont use the EQ for any Extreme settings.. in my experience will turn tone to nastyness... but use subtley.

Set everything at 12 o'clock and turn the contour to 3 o'clock. Trust me. GK has enough mids to spare. Boost bass knob t say 1 o'clock and roll off treble and mids to say... 11:30/11:00 oclock to taste.

turn up the Boost knob to 3 o'clock and input volume knob at 10:30 ish. using master as well... your master.

Thats where my tone is at and Thats where I love it.

using the contour knob more favorably will give you a warmer tone.

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I found the 1001RB to be too high-fi myself. That maybe your issue. Other heads are warmer and sound more like traditional bass. You may just have to change to a different head....

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    No one's going to ask what kind of BASS the dude has?

Joe

6. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    What kind of bass do you have?

In all honesty, GK's are not made to be warm. They are made for a very hi-fi (some say sterile, but i say hifi) sound that has a lot of mids and highs. Its an aggressive tone. That's the tone that i like, and why i'm getting a GK.

7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Mmmmm.. No. SWR is HI-FI. GK is more... grab-ya-by-the-lapels aggressive - some would say 'harsh'.

..But don't just think 'highs'. GK will very authoratively shake the earth with lows - yes-in-deedy! Remember that one of GK's claims-to-fame is their huge, over-sized power supplies - just-the-ticket for authorative BASS!

They can also be made to sound downright MUSHY if you use the boost control right (on the 700/1000 RBII, anyway)!
    I'm a GK-diehard. I love my 700RBII

Joe

8. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    All i can say about the 1001rbii's tone is holy s**t. the punchiness is absolutely out of this world, the sheer aggresiveness is absolutely amazing. this will be impossible to keep at a low volume once i pick it up. it just BEGS to be turned right up (much to my church music director's dismay i'm sure.)

I played it through several cabs when i was looking for a head to put on lay-by, and it just sounded amazing, especially through any ampeg 410!!! :D

9. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    If you want even more flexibility with your tone, do what I've been doing... bypass the EQ all together, and use a SansAmp Programmable Bass Driver as a preamp, run directly into the effects return jack. Hot momma!

10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Again, what bass are you using?

Also, the Ampeg pr 410 hlf is sold as a hi-fi cab, for
    example in the product notes here.

I really don't expect the GK1001 and 410 to have an
    inherent P-bass sound. You can fiddle the EQ to get close
    as mentioned above.

I was going to suggest throwing an 4 ohm 18" cab under the
    410, but your amp can only drive a 4 ohm load minimum.

That leaves a combo of a 4x10 8 ohm cab and a 15" or 18"
    8 ohm cab, or slaving another amp to the GK and running some
    bigger drivers to get that more traditional vintage tone.

But, like evreything else, it is all pretty subjective.

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    There-ya-go. That's more like it...

Joe

12. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    As someone else said, turn all controls to 12:00 position and start from there. My own personal preference is to turn the presence down to 9:00, boost to 9:00, woofer to 3:00, and set a volume level that your happy with from the input gain. Most of the time, I will tweek something from there and within a few tunes, set it right back.

13. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You can't get a warm sound out of a 1001. Its just not built for that. It puts your bass on steroids. But I find it very difficult to get an old school sound out of it. I love the sound, but its not for everyone.

Somebody else mentioned volume as well...I've really noticed that this amp with the RBH cabs are like a old Mustang: they HATE to go slow, and don't really perform smoothly at low speeds. This baby likes it LOUD, not just cause it can but because loud is the only way to get its optimal tone.

As someone said, there are mids to spare, so don't be shy about turning them down a bit. EQ 101 says that to get desired tones, use SUBTRACTION a little more than ADDITION. So if you aren't getting enough low freq, try rolling off the highs and mids a wee bit, then adjust the volume. In the end, a parametric EQ will help tweek the sound more, but it takes many hours to learn.

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I find the 1001 RB II to be quite warm for a solid stae amp. You have to get the correct balance between the input gain and boost controls to get there though. I'm not a fan of the Ampeg cab though. Bag End does it for me. The 1001 and a pair of Bag End 2x10's is a very loud, warm and portable setup. 1 trip on the hand truck and you're knocking the walls back if necessary.

15. + 1 BILLION!

16. Ziggywitaz

Ziggywitaz

Oct 6, 2005
    thanks a lot for all the help. maybe using the word warmer wasn't a good idea. i do want something aggressive but i want it bass heavy, i don't wanna hear anything thin. also i play on a LTD f-204 bass, much like the f-254 but its not a neck thru.

17. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.

I can see how one can make that conclusion, but time spent with the little black knobs yields unexpected results sometimes.

18. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    For a cheaper experiment with your sound...try changing brands and/or gauging of your strings. I was amazed when I tried a set of D'Addario Pro-Steels for the first time just the other day. It gave a "piano-like" crisp tone that I have never gotten from my rig before (what I was looking for).
    I didn't think that strings would change my tone all that much...but man, Night and Day difference! I was using Blue Steels for the past 6 years. Maybe try out some Nickle strings for low mid warmth...or try a heavier gauge for a beefier sound...especially if you tune down. My G&L is tuned down to C and I had to get a heavy string set so it wasn't "thin" sounding and so it wasn't floppy!
    Also, check to see if your pickups are set really low into the bass body or are up closer to the strings. Closer to the strings gives a more powerful sound (for the most part) And if your bass is active, try out a new battery too. Weird stuff goes on when the battery starts dying.
    All these things are way cheaper to try out before buying new amps and EQ's and stuff...and they have the ability for a greater effect on your tone. The GK head you have is a very nice amp and the EQ section is pretty powerful. You should be able to get the sound you are looking for on it. Good Luck!

19. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I play a P-bass with flats and go for a warmer sound.

1001RB-II+NEO212

Volume: 10 o'clock

Highs: 9 o'clock

High Mids: 8 o'clock

Low Mids: 12 o'clock

Bass: 10-12 o'clock

Boost: 2 o'clock

Woofer: 1 o'clock

I leave everything else off (contour, tweeter, etc.)

20. I don´t play a GK but i used to have problems finding my sound thin and harsh sometimes. Went over to flats and it changed everything!
    Massive bottom and punch and working better with my mid-driven sound.