1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head IvanMike help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Special_Ed, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    I have a Bag End 4 x 10 cab. There is a built in tweeter that sits inside one of the speakers of the cab.

The manual for this amp says that "in no way should the main amp and the tweeter amp be connected together, or connected to the same speaker."

Well...... the tweeter in my cab sits "inside" one of the speakers. What exactly is this warning talking about?

p.s. I have not yet purchased the GK amp but am thinking on it. I am reading the manual front to back because I don't want to pull some newb stunt and blow my amp or speakers. I am trying to educate myself on how to use this amp properlly incase I do buy it, so that I know what and what not to do.
  2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I have a GK RB1001-11 same head basically as the 700. The tweeter amp and main amplifier within the GK head are seperate power amps. So, no matter what, never combine the output signals from these two amps together. The GK speaker systems are designed to make use of this feature, (bi-amp feature) With your Bag End , just use a standard 2 conductor speaker cable using either a 1/4' jack or speakon connector. Your Bagend already has its own internal circuitry to deal with the tweeter. So don't sweat it. You can't utilize the built in tweeter amp in the 700RB unless you use a GK speaker cabinet. There ARE other ways but I won't go into it here. It involves opening up your speaker cabinet and bypassing your internal cross-over. Unless your well acqainted with how this equipment works, I would leave that to someone else. Run your Bag End in the usual way, you'll dig the amp. good luck.
  3. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Thanks for the reply. I have a better understanding but still do not get it 100%.

Let me ask this, how would I go about combining the tweeter amp and main amp together into one signal? Would I use some sort of modified speaker cable? (I know this should not be done but if I know how it is done, I will know what to avoid doing)
  4. the extra 50 watts wont make you any louder. that gks gonna sound great with the bag-end!
  5. You would have to take a four pin cable and cut the end off and tie the stripped ends together. As long as you stick to off the shelf standard speaker cables, you have nothing to fear. Just don't try to modify your cables, the amp or the cabinet and everything will be fine.