Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head PRICE CHECK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Special_Ed, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Is $700 out the door a good price for this amp? I have heard some negative things about the reliability of these amps, but they just sound so good for me. I need to go were the good sound and power is. Plus since I will be buying new it will have a warranty.

The only reason I ask is that this guy at guitar center was very quick to drop the $749 before tax price to $650 before tax.

Should I demand $650 out the door?

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I think that's a decent price. I'm very happy with mine. Great headroom, tone, and punch. it's only been a couple of months, but it's worked flawlessly so far.

:bassist: :hyper: :bassist:

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'd be wary in this exact situation. Guitar Center sales reps are paid sh*t, the only way they eat is commision. This is why they are eager to make the sale, however guitar center corporate has strict rules about when they can drop the price in a retail store, and one of the only times they can do so is when a unit is questionable or damaged.

If this is an amp that is currently on the floor be aware that it has probably had all sorts of arsehats playing with it, messing with gain and EQ settings, turning it on and off repeatedly, etc. I would be concerned that the unit was either damaged or had had problems in the past which were quick fixed by the store, the store knew it was damaged and the rep was trying to snag a commission on it before anyone noticed.

I would take the $700 offer but insist that they order you a new, untouched head from GK. Watch how fast the price goes back up in that case.

Just my $.02 based on what I've seen from Guitar Center in the past and what I know from friends who've worked or do work there. Stuff like reselling defective merchandise as new, taking trade ins and selling them as new, making deals on item X for hundreds off list, then swaping a broken floor demo when the customer arrives to pick the item up. Not isolated incidents, these are standard operating procedures at many stores (a close friend of mine was a sales manager at one of the stores in MA and they actually taught this stuff to him in training when he got his position....)

One of the many reasons I don't deal with that company or any of their subsidiaries.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Go here and possibly save $100!

5. check out Rik's music.
    MY price quote was $600.00 shipped and in stock.

www.riksmusic.com

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Rik's was almost the best price as well, i just got a quote for 600 from them last week.

I just got one at cost last monday locally, so i'm happy. This amp is much better than my SVP/QSC set up - by far.

good luck :)

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Riks price is $600. I paid $649 for mine from Lowdown and was glad to pay the extra $50 to geta somewhat "local" deal and know It'd be taken care of there is any problem. I wouldn't pay more than 650 anywhere for a 1001RB II.

8. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    Definetly go w/ Riks!

You can garentee its a brand new one in the box shipped right to your door. They are great people to work w/ plus I always feel better about giving my money to smaller shops rather than big wal-mart esq chain stores.

-Jason

9. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    Minimum wage to be exact.

This is true. I made a thread a while back ago on a used (visible damage) SR506 at GC being sold at new price.
    Told GC give me my money back since they wouldn't discount it. 3 months later and it's still there.

This doesn't really work anymore as more people have gotten computer savvy, but back in the days when sites like musiciansfriend.com (which I believe is now owned by GC) were just getting started, I'd haggle at GC by finding an item on MF, saving the source/html file, editing the price down X dollars or so, saving the page on my site, printing it, and bringing it in as my source of a lower price.

10. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    +1 for Rik's. I'll be buying a new 1001RB-II as well within the next few days and Rik's has the best deal anywhere.

11. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Actually it works out to be less than minimum wage in some instances since Guitar Center actually subtracts your commision from your hourly salary.

While we are on a "bash GC kick" they also fired a good friend of mine because she was injured working there. A PA cab was improperly stacked in a display, it fell and clipped her shoulder. Her manager told her not to file a workman's comp claim and to just take a couple days off. When she came back to work she was fired for not showing up (during the two days her manager told her to stay home and rest). To add insult to injury they docked her last paycheck for the price of the cab she "damaged".

And yes, Muscian's Friend has been owned by GC for several years. GC wanted an internet presence back in the late 90s and decided it was cheaper to buy MF than to set up their own mail order department.