1001RB II & Bergantino 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassTerd, Jul 29, 2003.

1. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I currently have the older model 1001RB and a Bergantino 2x10. I find that I can only turn up to a certain point before the cab starts farting. I was wondering if it would be worth upgrading to the newer 1001RB II model so that I can get an extra 180 watts at 8ohms. Would the extra watts make a big difference? Anyone using this current configutation?
  2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I really wish that Jim B. would offer this cabinet in a 4 ohm version, also. I really don't understand why he doesn't :confused: I would have one by now if it were so.

My guess would be a power issue. I'm not certain that the extra watts would even do it. The Bergantino's are pretty watt hungry.

But I've got a friend that uses an Aguilar DB750, which is rated at 750 watts @ 4 ohms into a Berg HT210 and his rig never sounds bad at all. I'm thinking that the 750 must only be putting out 375-400 watts, at the most, into his HT210 so I'm just not sure here.

You might want to call or email Jim Bergantino. He's a VERY SUPER GUY. He's always answered my email within an hour or two. I understand that he's quite accessable by phone also. He's one of "the tops" in customer service. And that is a very sweet sounding cabinet that you have.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What Jerry J said. Jim told me that for many issues he prefers phone to email: easier for him to diagnose a situation.

Re the HT210: I use just that at many rehearsals (with drummer!) and it keeps up just fine. It's powered by one channel of a Stewart World 2.1, which gives it roughly 400W.

A few months ago, I jammed with a drummer and a guitarist using this setup. The guitarist asked me if I was using an octave divider! He's been in a bunch of gigging bands, but apparently he's not used to hearing strong fundamental from a bass rig. :)
  4. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've noticed that when i run my bass through my DB680 and use the 1001rb as a power amp that the cab doesnt fart. I am able to play louder. It seems like the cab gets more power when I run this setup. Anyone have a clue as to why this happens?
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

It tells me that the problem lies with the preamp of your 1001RB, and not the power amp or bass or speaker cabinet...
  6. Reduce the gain (first volume knob) to about 10 oclock and crank the boost up to about 3 oclock. You should get much more headroom out of it that way.
  7. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Hey Dan,
    I've read on here for weeks about the GK website getting updated and it hasn't happened. I'd like to see the new amps.
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    a little OT, but has anyone else tried the newer "tuned" 2x10 cabs?!?! been dying to try one out!

they go down to 36hz, and its just a 2x10?! it goes lower than the 1x15! sheesh, could be a very cool medium volume standalone. :bassist:
  9. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I thought they were always tuned to 36Hz?

The only thing I know for sure that's different is the redesign of the 10" drivers. Rated at 250w now.
  10. Sorry about the delay on the website. Our web designer had a family member die and had some estate stuff to deal with. We should at least have the new product section up this week.