Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1001rb-II Rik's music price?(also an Avatar ?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, Dec 3, 2004.

1. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I'm about to by this from Guitar Center. It's like 600 dollars right? I am going to be doing the price matching thing so I need proof of this. I was thinking of emailing them and asking them, that would probably work but this is just reassurance.

Afterwords, I'm going to be saving for a cab (I'm going to be using the preamp section through my combo-for now). How good would a Avatar B410neo do? I now there's one dude in here that has this setup. I'd like to here some opinions on it.

2. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I think if you already purchased your head from GC and then saw it listed for less, Riks Music is good proof to get the price matched.

But, why not purchase the head through Riks Music directly?

They stuck their nose out there with a great advertised price which includes shipping.

I say give them a chance.

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I agree, get it from Rik's, they've always done well by me.

4. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I can only order from a store or buy it from the store. No other choices for me.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    isn't rik's a store?

6. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Yeah, an ONLINE STORE. Is it really 600 bucks or what? I'm not ordering from online. I'm getting it from GC. I'm still 17, I have no credit card. I'm not trying to be rude, but can we please drop the whole "Get it from Rik's!" thing?

7. I think that the e-mail should be proof enough for GC.

8. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Take it easy Metalbass.

No one is getting on you, we don't know your situation. By the way, unless you know someone with an Avatar B410 Neo for sale directly, isn't Avatar an "online" retailer?

If they are not, I would love to know who their dealers are.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    this is what threw me off.

how do you expect to buy an avatar? i hope you know someone in town.

:)

BTW, if you have a checking account, you should be able to get a check card from the bank. i don't use credit cards - i hate them as they hate me.

10. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Well by the time I get the money for an Avatar, I might have a credit card or be 18. I didn't mean to offend any of you, I'm sorry. I just kind of want to do it this way.The avatar will just be my first cab, but I'm depending on that 1001rb-II to hold up for a good while. I'm putting my trust into GK and their proffesional equipment and I expect them to come through in spades. I'm aware of the posts on this thread that suggest other wise but GK does seem to be a company that learns from and fixes their mistakes..so yea..

11. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004

...That's...not a bad idea.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    works for me, dude!

:)

btw, i hope you are able to get a very, very, nice rig for not that much money. as well, there is a TB'er Daniel Elliot (i think that's his name) that has helped a lot with GK issue - he seems to be a really great help

13. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    From what I understand the whole point of Rik's Music only giving quotes and not listing their prices is so that people can't price match them. You sure you can't use a money order? I say give Rik's a chance. GC=the great Satan

14. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Could you explain why you think that. I mean that whole tax thing is a pain yes but other from that?

15. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    GC people tend to be jerks in my experiance. they seem to act like they know everything, and there unhelpful they just want the sales commission. in my experiance with some guy he just kept bugging me every 2 min. about buying something when i was just looking, he didnt give me any room to browse and try amps out. the only thing that seemed to be good was i knew someone that worked there that gave me discounts but i don't think he works their anymore. i myself don't really like buying from GC unless i absolutely have to.

16. well guys im pretty sure im gonna get my 1001rb from Riks :) they deserve the sale for the price so i might as well get it from them instead of GC. I just hope the shipping if fast cause my cabs are gonna be here monday or tuesday and i cant order the head until monday cause they only work mod-fri.

17. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I purchased my 1001 from Riks and would have done so even if GK met or even beat their price. Nice informative phone person, fast shipping, great price, GOOD REPUTATION, what else do you need? I've literally spent thousands at GK over the years (4 basses and 1 amp)...and each transaction has been an intense negotiation session to get them to give me a decent price. What do I mean by decent? Common gear such as the 1001 should sell for 60-70% of list price. Hard to find gear typically doesn't sell for less than 70-75% of list price. GK TRIES to sell common gear sometimes at over 80% of list price. Common gear is defined as something you can find at almost any store you go to...a Fender jazz, Ampeg, GK, etc. GC is one of the largest music equipment retailers in the world...they are a volume dealer and don't care about serving individual players and generally treat their customers and their merchandise poorly. I've been there...many times. Don't believe me...take your bass in there and tell them you want to trade it in for another bass and see what they will give you for it...they'll treat you like a pawn shop and insult you with something like "its an American Standard Precision, there are a lot of those on the market, we can only give you $175 for it." I've bought new cars with less hassle than some of my GC transactions have been.

As a musician and consumer, I would much rather support a merchant who has a passion for music, gear and the people that create it. Its a lifestyle decision for me. Supporting smaller music shops helps to ensure that we bass players will continue to have a lot of options for gear in the future.

18. This is true and they probably are selling under minimum advertised pricing (MSP) which is why they require you to call. By asking GC to price match, you may be jepardizing Rik's...I have seen it before in other sectors...a local retailer gets wind of a online retailer selling below MAP and complains to the company which results in the online retailer getting its dealership pulled.

Dont know if that is going here, but it is something to think about...

Rik's deserves your money for offering that price, NOT GC

19. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I ordered my GK 700RB-II from Riks and it arrived within two days.

20. If you have the money to buy the GK head, cant you get your parents to buy the head with their credit card and then just immediately give them the money? Im 18 and thats what i did when i bought my first equipment.

And just like everyone else said, most employees at GC could care less about you. Give riks a chance. Youll save some money and wont regret it.