Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1001rb-II + skb x-rack = me scratching my head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rusmannx, Dec 9, 2004.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    so i just got the x-rack today and i'm a little confused.

i have all of the bracketry, but as i set the head inside the rack, am i supposed to have the head resting on the bottom of the rack? or suspended in the middle of the rack? if i set it on the bottom, then the aluminum edge around the front of the rack is in the way of the knobs on the amp. if i set it halfway up, it seems like the weight of the unsupported back half of the amp would bend the mounting brackets.

also, i though i remember someone saying that the stock handles on the front of the gk head could be left on if only turned another way.....

someone please help me.

2. Those X--racks are tapered from front to back and not all gear will fit in their, or at least thats what a reviewer on MF wrote, is that the problem?

3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I'm not sure why your having problems mounting the head in the lowest position. you said the knobs of the amp hit? Hit what? The rack cover when you try to close it? The GK should be able to rack in the lowest position just as well as the middle position. But to get the cover on you will have to take the chrome "mini-handles" off the GK and reverse them so they point or "bend" inward instead of outward. Unscrew the handles, you'll get it.

Hope that helps. I have an SKB rack too, just not the Xrack.

4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Make sure your mounting the GK head from the front side of the rack, not from INSIDE the rack. Flip the rack so its sitting on the floor with the cover off, and its laying on its back side facing up. Drop the GK head INTO the rack from the front.

5. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    yeah that is what i'm doing.
    as far as the knobs hitting, they are VERY close to the aluminum ring around the circumference of the rack (part of wich is the mounting surface.

6. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    ok, i'm a dufus. i was trying to set the amp INSIDE the case with the mounting brackets INSIDE the case.

my question is.... how is this thing supposed to be sturdy if the back (rear) of the amp is just hanging in the air?

it seems like it should have some type of support back there.....

well it's all mounted up. i guess it feels sturdy enough.
    thanks for the help guys, and thanks for the recommendation.

7. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    That is what I don't like about SKB cases. The back of anything will be un-supported. If you can measure the distance from the bottom of the amp to the bottom of the case, then you can cut a block of wood to put there. Attach it to the case bottom with double sided tape and you can also put stick on felt on the top side to keep the amp from getting scratched.

8. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    yeah i thought about doing something like this. i'll probably make a block for it pretty soon.

9. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I just ordered a Gator 3 space effects rack Gator for my GK 1001RB II.

I got the 3 space because I could leave the feet on the bottom of the head, which would give it support when racked on the bottom. Also, the 3 space will let the amp breath a little better.

Like yourself, I was uncomfortable about the amp hanging in the rack.

Also, a little hint, if you are having trouble with the lid fitting around the front handles of the amp, just reverse the handles, so that they face inwards instead of out.

10. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    The vent for that amp is on the top.
    If you leave the open space on the bottom for the feet, make sure you have enough breathing room for the fan.

danman

11. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    yeah i got a 3space, and mounted it in the lowest position, it should breath easily.