Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1001rb is a winner, i think.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kcdbass, Feb 9, 2003.

1. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    i know there's a thousand threads on the GK 1001RB here on TB, but yesterday i tried one out as sam ash here in jersey, i was very impressed.

it's really loud, and i now understand the comment about the "fast attack" of that head ... (compared to a tube vibe, which is where i come from) ... the 4/5 string bass button really makes the head go deep.

the head in the store was hooked up to a gk 4x10, but i think i plan on pairing that head with 2 aggie 112's ... 540 watts ... that oughta tear heads off when necessary.

i think i'm gonna get one ... only 18 pounds ... i love it. anybody playing this head thru aggie cabs???

2. go with the 1001rb, i have one and i love it, a great sound comes out of them, not very colored, they bring out the true sound of your bass.

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    The new 1001RB is 700 watts @4 ohms,460 watts @8 ohms if your interested..........

4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i played through the combo with my new zon fretless.

at low volumes it sounded fine.

but, when i cranked it, it farted like crazy.

guess i'm spoiled with my qsc/aggie rig.

f

5. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Try the 1001rb with different cab's. I really like GK heads but I am not much on their cab's.
    Although it's less power...try the 800rb....it's my favorite of all the GK line (and oldest I think) but it definately has that GK sound.

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    FYI, I own both the 800rb and 1001rb. I've had the 800 for nearly 12 years, and I bought the 1001 a year after it first came out. I A/Bed them as soon as the 1001 came in.

I was careful to ensure that the A/B comparison involved running both heads at the same volume level (read as db level, as opposed to volume nob setting). It's obvious that the 1001 is louder, I was more interested in identifying the tone difference - at the same volume level.

The 800 truly has that signature GK tone; a clean solid state sound with good bottom, mids, and highs. The 1001 is very similar, except you have the ability to dial in more ultra lows (the 20 hz to 60hz range) and ultra highs (7khz to 10khz) than the 800. You might say that you can get a HI-Fi tone, if you wanted to. It might also be slightly "quicker" sounding. One guitarist that I gigged with remarked that my 1001 had a warm tone; that was his opinion and he's someone who I consider to have a good ear.

Both amps are excellent heads, if the GK tone is the sound you're looking for. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these amps are the best. I've played through Alembic & Demeter preamps coupled with high-end power amps, and the GKs would not hold up under such a comparison; but you need to pay the extremely high prices to own that kind of high quality gear.

For the price, less than $800 mail order, the GK heads will give you a very good clean punchy tone with power to spare. and it seems as if GK got over their quality control problem of a few years ago. I have not had to deal with customer service because my heads have not had any problems at all.

7. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Well put GFab....

I'm still waiting (zzzzzzzzzz) on the GK pre-amp that's in the "concept" section on their website.

8. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    kcdbass
    What are you playing through now, just out of curiosity? I like these heads too although I've only played through one at the music store. Nice and portable, loud, and from all accounts that I've seen they sound great.

9. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    thanks fot the replies everybody ...

basss: my current rig is an aguilar 750 ... former owner of the 680/728 ... an awesome rig which i sold to get the 750 ... (i really miss the 680 -- it's a wonderful pre -- especially in a studio) ...

my interest in the 1001rb lies mostly in it's weight and the fact that the new model will do 700 watts @ 4-ohms ... damn, and it's 18 pounds!

i've been doing more and more gigs/recording in NYC and anyone who's done that will agree that lugging a 60lb. 6-space rack from a parking lot around the corner is a real drag. i'm looking for a grab-n-go that's got some real balls.

trip tells me that they make a gig bag for the 1001, and i plan to get that ... so the plan is: amp bag over left shoulder, bass over right ... plug into the house cab. ONE TRIP LOAD IN. walk softly and carry a big stick!

i realize the aggie and the 1001 are radically different amps ... that's part of the charm for me, i guess.

and one last thing, the GK does seem to color the sound less than the aguilar. this is neither good or bad ... aguilar gives an amazing warmth and darkness that's just as appealing as the fast attack of the GK.

you could use either head in any musical setting, IMO. just as long as you eq yourself to sound like BASS!:)

10. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    As a Zon owner, and a GK combo owner I can attest to fact they fart out when you crank it......without the input pad in. Put the pad in and the Zons will scream...

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Do Zons have an internal trim pot for pickup gain / output?

My MTD 535 used to do the same thing. It even made the clip light come on and caused a little bit of distortion. Once I lowered the pickup gain by adjusting the internal trim pot, I had no problems. It turned out that the MTD's output was much higher than the other basses that I own. I adjusted the output on all of my active basses so that they have a slightly higher output than a stock Fender or the old Bart active preamps, but aren't so loud that they'll overdrive a preamp.

12. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    On mine, there is no internal trim. Kinda sucks, because it can clip certain pedals that I like to use.