1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1001rbII-->Ampeg 810? yea or nay?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ()smoke(), Mar 13, 2008.

1. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    i'm considering ordering a 1001rb, and won't be able to try one with my cab until i buy--does anyone have any wise words regarding this pair?

i briefly owned the 1001rbII before, and i found the highs a bit harsh, but i was using the biamp into a neo 112 and 115, and my geddy at the time was a bright bass, so i'm hoping i can make it work this time around

(i love my SVTII, but have a couple of issues necessitating a higher-powered, lighter alternate for some occasions)

i know ultimately, i'll have to hear for myself, but thanks for any insight

2. Connor

Connor

Jun 21, 2007
    Jawjuh
    i used a 1001rbII with an ampeg 410hlf, i was very excited because i was planning on buying them, but i found the Gk not nearly with enough lows/low mids, and a very harsh trebly sound even though i dialed the treble very low. it really depends if you like GK, but GK and ampeg are very VERY different sounds. i am trying to save for an svt3 or 6, preferably 6 if i can get a cheap one.

3. Yes! In fact my next musical equipment purchase will most likely be a Ampeg cab; I'm thinking a 610...

I've used a 2001rb into a 810 and they compliment each other well, the end result was a nice gritty yet velvety thud that I would say is the best tone I've coaxed out of an amp/cab combination in a store

4. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    great feedback, thanks connor--this is the kind of thing that helps inform my decision

i think i really need to try the 2 together first, because your experience, soundwise, sounds similar to what i've experienced, and it's what i want to avoid

i've heard lots of people get great sounds out of the 1001rb, but maybe it's just not my bag

5. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    ...and here's joey with a completely opposite take!

:D thanks man

i'm really just going to have to try for myself with my bass and my cab to see what i can get--if i can tame the highs, i think i'll be alright

6. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Smoke, I ran my GK 800 into a Ampeg SVT cab for over 20 years. For my tastes it sounded very good. The 800 only has 300 watts but it was always more than enough.

7. The 810 is certainly a 'darker' cab, so I think it would work in theory.
    The GK is a fairly versatile amp; with a setup like this the question is more "Do I like the sound of an Ampeg 810?"
    If yes, then go for it!
    (Personally, I would!)

8. nls666

nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I mostly use a GK 1001RB-II with a SVT610-HLF and with a 810E occasinally. I really like the sounds I'm getting out of this set ups. I back off the treble a bit on the GK and crank the lows and low mids...
    I also have a SVT-CL. They are very different amps, but I really like the versatility I have with the addition of the GK 1001RB-II. The GK is tighter in the lows and has more treble, with the use of ampeg cabs you get a nice warmer growly tone. It works IMO.

9. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Man, I just don't find the GK trebley at all if I keep the presence and contour all the way down, and the 5 string voicing filter on. It's actually kinda dark with the eq set flat. It does start to sound brittle though if I push the volume (preamp gain) above 12:00.

Of course, I'm using the 212, and not 810's, but I don't think the 10's would on their own would make you trebley.

Ljazz

10. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR

My experience as well... though it didn't last 20 years. :smug:

11. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    Yep - that combination was a backline standard for at least 10 years, 1001RB II is basically a very similar pre with more options and more power than the 800 RB so.........YEA.....

12. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    sounds like i might like this pair--thanks for the help, fellows:)

13. Connor

Connor

Jun 21, 2007
    Jawjuh
    seriously, just try it, it's obviously the only way... post your findings here too, i'm interested in your take on it

14. 0utlier

0utlier

Feb 21, 2006
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I played the 1001RBII through an Ampeg 6x10 cab for a while. Holy god could it get loud. I switched to an Ampeg SVT-Pro4 and Ampeg 6x10. I must say I like this setup better, but it can't reach the SPL the GK could. I do miss the light weight of the GK.