Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

100th Anniversary!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gard, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm sorta surprised no one has mentioned it, but today is the 100th anniversary of what is likely to be one of the all-time most important dates in human history:

100 years ago today, at Kill Devil Hills near Kitty Hawk, NC, Wilbur, then Orville Wright became the first human beings to achieve powered flight.

This was the first step toward so much of the wonderful things that have happened since, up to and including the lunar landings.

On this day 100 years ago, we as a race slipped the surly bonds of this earth and rose into the wind.

It is a truly wonderful day.

Excuse me, I'm going to go sit in front of the tube and soak up all the cool shows on the History Channel.

:D

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i heard some dude in san fracisco did it a few years before them.

:D i'm terrible, i really am

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    ...me argue with you? :)

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I fail to see how something like powered flight could be important to me, an Air Force bandsman.

:D

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    You just play the root notes. Who said anything about flight?

:D:p

6. I can make a paper airplane. EAT THE WRIGHT BROTHERS !! :spit:

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    There should be some good aviation events coming up- I guess there is a gentleman who is planning on breaking a record for a solo flight around the earth. He plans on doing it in 80 hours- without sleep! I read that the big Charlie L did his flight in 16 hours and was hallucinating by the end of it, due to the stress and level of attention necessary to fly a plane... I can't imagine 80 hours without sleep doing _anything_.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My favorite part of flying is leaving the ground, and of course, returning again....safely.

A hunk of sheet metal, a couple of engines and you go from Detroit to San Fran in 3-4 hours. Simply amazing really. Once they shipped a couple of guys in a can to the moon. Holee cow!

9. Loads of cocaine, maybe? :p

10. They did a recreation of the Wright Bros. flight the other day....it failed. I love it, 100 years of flying 'evolution' and we can't get a simple prop plane airborne for 30 seconds!

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I believe the first flight was 12 seconds....

12. I was just approximating. I wasn't sure of the original timeframe. the recreation didn't even make it 12 seconds anyways.

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    As Pac said, the first flight was only 12 seconds to start with.

Further, the weather yesterday was atrocious on the Outer Banks: raining, not nearly the amount of wind to work with that the Wrights had on their first flight (they had nearly a 30 mph headwind, that REALLY helps get a plane off the ground).

Lastly, as many pilots who've tried to fly recreations of the original 1903 Wright Flyer will tell you, there is nothing "simple" about the airplane, it is easily one of the most difficult aircraft to fly. This is from people that fly F/A-18's, F-15's, C-130's every day for a living.

Besides, the point wasn't to fly anywhere, the point was to honor the event.

14. My bad. I wasn't aware of the conditions. I just found it rather ironic that we couldn't do what the Wright Brothers did 100 years ago, when our technology has gotten much better.