Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

100V japanese Fafner...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by junglebike, Nov 27, 2003.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I just bought some silly cheap EBS gear.

The catch -- the Fafner head is from Japan, and is labled 100V.

The plug is a standard plug. The guy I bought it from has been running it through a 110 to 100V transformer.

Anyone know if this is really necessary? Ideas on a modification? Am I in over my head? Is there anything wrong with just running it with the transformer?

Anyone want to buy it? :D

2. We've run into this problem where I work.

Can your "100V" equipment be run here in the US? The answer is.....maybe. Many components marked "110 volts" can handle a range of 95 to 125 volts without problem. So if your gear is actually designed that way, they could mark it as 100 V for sale in Japan, and it would still be OK for the US. That's just guessing, though.

Another possibility is that inside your equipment, there is a power transformer. The incoming line voltage side of the transformer may have a tap for the 110 volts as well as the 100 volts. In that case, moving one wire would solve your problem.

You can of course continue to run the equipment forever with the 110 to 100 volt stepdown transformer, though who wants to lug around another item...

If it were mine I'd open it up and look for another tap on the transformer. If it didn't have one, and if this is indeed something cheap, I would be tempted to just run it direct on the 110 volts anyhow. (Usually components can handle a little over-voltage better than undervoltage) In the meanwhile save your money for a genuine US voltage rated replacement.

Sorry I can't be more definative.

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    sure how much do you want?

steve

4. Gidbo

Gidbo

Oct 30, 2003
    Norrtelje, Sweden
    Hello!

Mail Mats Kristoffersson at EBS in Sweden, he constructed it and can tell you what to do!
    (I own a Fafner myself!)

His adress:
    mats@bass.se

Lasse Gidbo, Norrtelje Sweden