Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

100w combo recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jamesbond, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Jamesbond

Jamesbond

Dec 6, 2003
    San Diego
    Ampeg BA-115
    Ampeg B100R
    Fender Bassman 100

which one do you recommend? looking for a used amp (1-2 year old) moving up from 15w amp.

thanks

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    (cutting and pasting usual questions)

What is your music style ?
    What bass(es) will you use it with ?
    What kind of tone are you looking for ?

3. Jamesbond

Jamesbond

Dec 6, 2003
    San Diego
    rock, jazz
    Fender Jazz Delux 5 string

don't really know. any good tone??

sorry, have been played for a year so still learning. Had 15w practice amp and now play with some friends in a band.

thanks

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Either of the Ampegs are very sweet if you wanna get a good rawk tone. The Fender is more transparent so if you have a crappy bass it'll show more.:meh:

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Well, my favorite one is the B-100R (I have one and I am happy with it). Perfect for warm, thick, vintage tone.

But I believe you should go and try'em all, then decide which one "talks" better to you.

Cheers,
    JL

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I bought an Ampeg B100r as my second amp and love it. I bought it used for $200 (great price).

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Either Ampeg though the Fender will work too. Personal preference should decide this for you. I chose the B-100R a few years ago and I still grin when I plug in.

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    100 watts doesn't cut it in a band, unless your in a blue grass band playing at small steak joints.

150w minimum.

Go for a used PeaveyTNT or something...

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have done both Blues and Jazz gigs easily with the B100R. It is not likely going to cut it for a loud rock gig, but you have a PA usually for those. I would also recommend the Hartke Kickback 12. 120 watts in to a 12". Deep sounding with excellent clarity, and quite versatile.

10. Jamesbond

Jamesbond

Dec 6, 2003
    San Diego
    nobody likes Fender Bassman 100?

In store it costs more (that doesn't mean better, I know)

Is Ampeg better quality than Fender? just curious.

11. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Look for a Gallien-Krueger MB150. Its a 100w single 12 combo. I got one yesterday and it is sweet! All 3 of my basses sound great thru it - especially my fretless Skyline - that bass sings thru this amp, great mwah. It has a really clear detailed tone. I came across it by accident and was smiling ear to ear last night trying it out.

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Again? Will people ever learn

:rolleyes:

I'm not in a blue grass band and I use a 100w combo sometimes. Sometimes with a 6 string MTD or Fodera.

Do you even realize how little difference there is between 100w and 150w, Mike?

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I haven't heard anything of Fender's quality, I do think my Ampeg B-100R is overbuilt for the price. Just a beautiful, rock solid piece of gear.

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

Why yes I do Brad. This might shock you, but I've tried the 100w amps with bands, and it just doesn't work. From my personal experience, you need atleast 150 to cut it. Does that bother you?

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    So you're saying you've taken an Ampeg B-100R, BA-115, Fender Bassman 100 and a TNT into band situations and the only amp that "cut it" was the TNT?

Is that your point?

Answer that and I'll get back to you on what bothered me about what you said. To start with I doubt you understand, in an apples to apples comparison, how miniscule the volume difference would be between 100w and 150w. You also don't seem to grasp that each amp company does not rate their gear the same. But let me know if this was your point and I'll fill you in on the rest... it's not like it hasn't been discussed a million times here already.

16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I have played all of them in band situations... the ampeg and fender weren't mine, cause it wasnt my band... I went to watch them practice, and it turned into a jam session...

Who knows? Maybe the sound I like, i just need that extra power... but the TNT does seem to have much more power than the ampeg 1x15 and the fender 1x15 100 watters i tried.

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Cool. Is that how you came to this conclusion:

"100 watts doesn't cut it in a band, unless your in a blue grass band playing at small steak joints".

I guess when people still say silliness like this, especially people who should know better by now...

Mike, depending on the situation, a Peavey Combo 300 might not cut it, let alone a TNT. To make the leap in logic from your limited experience to blue grass/small steak joint only just isn't very perceptive. I've used mine in a Crowne Plaza hotel in front of 300 people without PA support, in a band with a horn section...with a 5 string bass. What you're basically saying is, that can't be done.

Why not at least try to make an accurate recommendation instead of perpetuating the SOS?

BTW the TNT, if it's the 150 watter, doesn't have that much more power than any of these combos. If you like what you heard, cool. I like the TNT myself but the difference in tone between it and the B-100R seems to be the big difference. That's not important to everyone.

I've also heard people who don't understand EQ really screw up the sound of the Ampeg, way too many times. That can't be blamed on the amp.