Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

100w or 200w?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Dilemma (hey that could be a band name):

I want to buy a new amp and get rid of my johnson 30 watt amp.

I could get the Ampegba115 (100 watts), or the peavy tnt 115 (200 watts). Thing is, I love the ampeg sound. Peavey..not too crazy about...but I could make do with it.

I was told that 100w is plenty for gigging if you have a PA. Is this true? And if there wasn't a PA, with 200 watts, I'd still get lost among a drummer and 2 guitarists, right?

ugh..i have a headache..and my ass is numb from searching the net for all this info... :rolleyes:

2. Well...I posted in your other thread too. A 100 watt boost is only a 3db volume increase. Thats hardly even an audilbe difference. To actually double your volume, you need 10 times more watts. Each of those amps are about $500 new. I would say get a head and cab. I dont know how you feel about Behringer products, but a new behringer head is $230 and you could get a new or used Avatar cab for cheap. I would say just get a head and cab. :)

Edit: Actually, you could find a used Ampeg BR2 for $250-300, if you have to have ampeg. :rolleyes:

3. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    get a 1000 watts.

seriously, that's what folks around here seem to use.

or, I've heard 4x your guitarist's watts... and a zucchini covered with tinfoil in the shorts helps too. (sorry, saw Tap tonight.)

4. Yeah I could get that 1900 watt head from Carvin...it's less than $1k too :D

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    in my humble opinion...........
    life in the bass world starts at 400 watts (solid state - tubes are a different story)
    go the head and cab route

6. Yeah but...dude...you gonna buy it for me? I don't have that kind of money. That'll cost me another $400 vs. a combo amp. Besides I mean I'm not even in a band yet, I'm still looking for people who actually take music more seriously than 2 hours of practice a week.

Plus, i don't want to haul a head and cab to band practice. I drive a 85 monte carlo ss, not a whole lot of room in the backseat. I plan on getting a head/cab later on, like once I get into a band and we play gigs regularly.

7. You'll be happier with the head/cab route. I've been gassing for a budget rig...for open jams, jamborees, crap bars, etc. Here's what I came up with.

Cabs
    add about $60 for shipping

Head
    Behringer BX3000T:$229...there's a few on ebay for $197-198.

I have the Behringer head, it's not a bad amp for the money.

8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Here's another possible route. Get a used Carvin power amp on eBay, something in the FET-1000 class, or DCM class, will work fine. I've seen FET-1000's go for as low as 100 bucks, in perfect operating condition. That's an excellent value for the money. Then you'll have a thousand watt power amp, and that's probably as much as you'll need for a while.

If you go the separate amp/preamp route, then you'll need to get a preamp too, and there are many choices in that area. You can even build one yourself, for about 20 bucks in parts and a few minutes with a soldering iron. Or, you can find a used BBE or something on eBay, I've seen those go for around a hundred bucks too.

If you look in the right place, and you're willing to be patient, you can get a killer rig for under two hundred bucks. Then those Avatar's will sound a lot better too.

Yes it's true that you can probably get away with a hundred watts if you have a PA. In fact, you can even get away "without" an amp if you have a PA, by just using a direct box to feed the board. Your singers will probably try to rip you head off though, when they hear all that mud coming through the monitors. Personally I hate using the PA for bass purposes. But it seems to work okay for a lot of people.

But you're going to need an amp anyway, aren't you? I mean, for practice and all that (you're not going to run through the PA at practice, are you)?

The other thought is, you can take the "line out" from whatever low power amp you end up getting, and feed it into an external power amp "when you need to". For most gigs, you probably won't need to. For those loud gigs, you can beef up your stage volume by using an external power amp (and maybe an additional speaker or two).

9. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Given a choice between the Ampeg and the Peavey, I'd go with the Ampeg. It's gonna be a much better sounding amp and it'll be a great one to hang on to even if/when you upgrade to a larger setup. If you get in a band with a decent PA system, a lot of your wattage issues will be cleared up.

Just my 2 cents.

10. Used Ampeg B-100Rs sell for $300-$325, sound great and project well for a small 100W amp.
    I've had many 2-doors in the past, and feel your pain. It can be done, though.
    An alternate choice is something like a 210 and head, which many here seem to be encouraging...a rig like this is small enough to transport in your machine and is more flexible than most combos, but doesn't throw the low end as well as a big, stupid box with a wide-ass speaker.
    Remember, the more money you sink into a piece of gear up front, the more you usually get out of it when you upgrade.
    But in the end, what the bass player uses depends on other musicians' amps and, most importantly, how loud the drummer is.
    If you're not in a band right now, why are you in a rush? Save your money, do the research (in music stores and on-line) and wait until a great deal comes along, then snag it mercilessly.