1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

100w valve amp live

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Jaxon Cook, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Jaxon Cook

Jaxon Cook

Aug 9, 2017
    Sydney
    I want to get an old school valve/tube amp sound and the amps I'm looking at are the Fender Bassman 100T with a Rumble 4x10 or the Ashdown CTM100 with an ABM 4x10. Just wondering if anyone has experience with these amps live and how loud these Amps will go before you can call it distorted. I'm playing mostly small and medium venues. Is it worth getting a 100w tube amp? Will it have enough headroom for cleans? Or should I just get an ABM600 and save myself from the valve experience?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Get an efficient cab, over 100db, like the
    RS115 | RevSound S version. Or even a couple of them.

3. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I believe you will find the Fender and Ashdown are voiced drastically different. I have the CTM300 which has the same preamp as the CTM100. Great sounding amp but voiced heavily towards the mids and lows and optimized for outstanding driven tones. If you want a bright sparkly tube tone look elsewhere. Hint...keep the EQ settings below about 11 o'clock and it is pretty intuitive. I find the EQ fussy and frustrating for higher settings.

I don't think the Bassman is necessarily a better amp. I haven't played one, but from listening to demos and reading reviews it has less of a baked in tone, so I think most would agree it is bit more versatile.

Best if you can audition each amp to see which is closer to your sonic bliss...at least listen to the various videos on YouTube.

Regarding volume...depends upon how loud your band is, how efficient your speakers are, and whether you will always have PA support. You could easily do an arena gig with either amp as long as you have PA support and a band that controls its volume. IMHO, 100 watts would be more of a liability in a small to medium venue where you have to carry the room with your amp.

4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    "100 tube watts" and "clean" should never be used in the same sentence.

godofthunder59 likes this.
  5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Totally depends on how the amp is used. My first amp was a blackface Fender Twin (85 watts). I loaded it with JBL E120s and aimed the speakers straight at my head. It had a nice clean sound that worked great in a cover band. Obviously it wouldn't carry a room without PA support, especially since the cabinet is open backed, but I could usually hear myself just fine because the band did not play with excessive stage volume. This setup sounded great with fingerstyle, pick, and slap. It pretty much did everything well except overdrive as I didn't want to blow the speakers.

My second amp was a brand new MTI era SVT with the matching 810. I had a much harder time hearing myself with that rig as the 810 is beamy and rolls of the highs. Additionally, it's really not practical to aim an 810 at your head or lift the cabinet up to ear level. IMHO the Twin sounded better, but the SVT was obviously much better at carrying the room. I got the best of both worlds by stacking the Twin on top of the SVT and running Ric -O-Sound and then later biamping.

6. Jaxon Cook

Jaxon Cook

Aug 9, 2017
    Sydney
    Thanks, I don't want a real crystal clean, more gritty, something like a Nick O'malley or a Jack Bruce, I'm leaning more to the fender but I'm just wondering how loud the vintage channel can go before its starts to drive and breakup

7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    As others have said, that really depends upon the speaker you pair with the amp. Unfortunately I don't have any idea how efficient the Rumble 410 is, and I couldn't find anywhere that Fender listed the sensitivity. Hopefully someone who has gigged the Rumble 410 with the 100T will chime in.

Jaxon Cook likes this.
  8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    It's a foot switchable effect, not a separate channel.
    Rumbleā„¢ 500

9. Jaxon Cook

Jaxon Cook

Aug 9, 2017
    Sydney
    I'm not talking about the rumble amps, the bassman series is two channel.

10. Some par 3 holes can be hit with a putter. Some would need a 7 iron but you could still smash it with the putter. Some wouldn't get there with King Kong swinging for you.

Impossible to say how good your putter driving is.