1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

101 Bass Tips or Bass Guitar for Dummies?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Minger, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Seeing as how 101 Tips popped up in the classifieds, I'm tempted to get it, but I have also heard excellent things about Bass Guitar for Dummies - which would you guys recommend?

2. is 101 tips the gary willis book? Cos he has a book with a similar title that is totally worth the money. Bass Guitar for dummies isnt a good idea unless you are an absolute beginer theres not much in there useful to an intermediate player.

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Eh? I heard there was a lot for the intermed player...

Hm...yeah, the Gary Willis one.

4. I suggest getting the Bass guitar for dummies from the library if you are a begginer. But the 101 tips is apparently better, though ive never seen it myself.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Bass Guitar for Dummies is far more of an instructional book including music theory, along with a good amount of history on bassists and bass itself. Willis' book is more of 'here's some helpful tricks you may not have heard about' sort of thing, much of which has to do with equipment (and some of which is inadvisable, like his advice on boiling strings or on adding an extender at the end of the bridge to "increase tension").

6. MKCoats

MKCoats

Apr 18, 2006
    Another excellent book for bassplaying and overall musicianship is called The working bassists toolkit. Its a bassplayer publication. It has what most bassists need the most...rhythm exercises and vocalization. Check it out!