1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

105Q Wah repair

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Beav, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I bought a nonworking wah pedal off eBay with the hopes that something was just disconnected internally. Unfortunetly, that wasn't the case. I called Dunlop and they quoted me $50 for the repair. Are there any other options besides sending it back to Dunlop, or should I just suck it up and pay the $50?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    $50 seems like par for repairs these days. I'd say do that, or find a good friend who wants a "project" and will only charge you a beer or two, or just pop it back on the bay to recoup some of your cost.

3. Did you get sucked in to buying that one that had the broken pot?

I looked at that, then looked at the pot and thought, mah... :bassist:

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think the pots fail more on those than anything else. I'd replace that first.

FYI, Dunlop will charge that much to fix anything, minimum.

5. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Its such a sweet pedal. I would let the factory tech repair it and then it should be just as good as new. The 105Q is my probably my favourite bass pedal!

6. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    I called a Dunlop tech and talked with him about 15 minutes. Basically, the pedal never engages. When you rock the pedal down all you get is a high pitched hiss to go along with your signal. The signal never cuts out, just no effect. He said that someone apparently had plugged in the wrong voltage adapter and had fried it. The strange thing about the repair is that it, no matter what the damage is it's $50. I could have taken the circuit board out and hit it with a sledge hammer and it still would have cost the same.

7. Probably because they just pop out the faulty board and pop in a new one. Why waist time troubleshooting?

8. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Great point.