1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

$1099 for a 1975 Fender Jazz is too good to be true, right?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Apr 10, 2009.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    It was. I went to Music-Go-Round in Lincoln, NE today after seeing an Olympic White 1975 Fender Jazz on their website priced at $1099. I arrive, and my friend and I are looking for it. We see a Fenderish looking bass in two pieces on the ground. I ask the employee "Is that the 1975 Fender Jazz you guys have?" He said "Yes but we, uh, need to send it to be repaired." My friend and I take a look. The body is fine, but the neck is another story. The truss rod had busted through the fingerboard and was poking out. My friend said there was pretty much no way it could be fixed without a new fretboard and a new trussrod. Thus basically negating all vintage "original parts value." I tried to find it on the website just now but I noticed the picture has been taken down since this morning... :meh:

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    eah, my experience with a few 70's fender instruments was disappointing.

3. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Most of them are OK, I think, but the value is certainly inflated. I got my '78 for around $1100 or so and I consider that a good find; came w/ a case, Badass bridge, original pickups, overall excellent shape, esp. for a 31 year old instrument. Plays and sounds like buttah.

4. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    i could have got one in antigua ir however you spell it 1978 p bass with a badass 2 and maple neck for 1,000 last week played it and really was not
    impressed yes it was better than my MIM but eh not by much

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Lads. Just buy a new American Standard Jazz, a 60's (or 70's) classic, or a AV '62 RI stackpot, and thank the close holy Spring darkness that you don't need to own a '75 Jazz (IMHO). :rollno: