10hz test

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Jun 16, 2001.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    what is the "10 hz test" ive seen a few poeple mention one.
  2. Leave it alone! :D

You cannot hear 10 Hz, and the tendency will be to turn up your amp. This will blow your speakers all to hell.

Ported speaker cabinets unload the drivers (read: unprotect) below the tuning frequency of the box. This wil typically between 31 and 45 Hz. Your drivers will be literally flopping in the breeze with zero acoustic load at 10 Hz. With any kind of power applied, they will pound themselves against the stops until they tear apart.

Think of this as a computer virus for your bass cabinets.
  3. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    thanks, but what exactly is it? is it something u plug into your amp.. or???

im not going to get it, just curious.
  4. It is an MP3, one of many Woofer Destroyers, etc that float around the various MP3 sites. There is no practical use I can see for a 10 Hz MP3 other than to destroy the drivers of an unsuspecting user. IMO this is the same as a computer virus.

If you need to generate 10 Hz for testing purposes, there are numerous freeware software generators you can use with a computer sound card. They let you set whatever frequency you desire. If you were tuning a ported cabinet, you would use one of these.

If you want to audition your subwoofer cabinets, use program material. Reggae, Rap, Synth, etc.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The ones I'm familiar with started out as 24k gold turntable records, (really!), so people with too much money could impress their friends with their $2400 Klipsch speakers with 100 feet of folded horn.

Audiophiles use it to make sure their stereos are set up for max performance.

IMO, something with very deep, useable frequencies, like music with dub bass or drum n' bass music is enough.
  6. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I've found some recordings of good (large) pipe organs or synthesizers valuable in terms of giving deep bass in a musical way. 10 Hz. is perceived by body vibration, not by the ear. If your system does justice to the deepest pipe organ bass (could be as low as 16 Hz.), then you're all set. Listening to loud sub-bass reminds me of being in a boat on choppy water - no sound, just a lot of floor moving up-and-down and rattling windows.
    - Mike