Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

10's + 12 or 10's + 15 cabinets... Who's makes the good ones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Nov 18, 2004.

1. I'm considering Schroeder big time. They're so small, I just sold an Ampeg 6x10 cause I got tired of lugging it around, and the design is really cool, plus they make cabs with 10's and 12's. But I don't think I'll get to play one before I buy one and I'm not too keen on doing that. So who makes good cabinets with these speaker combos? I'll be playing an SWR SM-900 and a Fender American Deluxe P. I really think that the 15 or 12 twelve is necessary for some good low end. If I could do just fine with just 10's please let me know. If not, please give me some recommendations on cabs to try out. Thank ya thank ya.

2. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

SWr and EBS both make a 10 + 15 cab, and bergantino makes a 2x10 + 12.

3. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

plus, if one big cab is too big for your tastes, why not try 2 smaller cabs, such as a 2x10-1x15 combo?

4. Turtletheyertle

Turtletheyertle

Oct 1, 2004
    look at accugroove for full range cabs

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The Schroeder cabs are fantastic.

An even more portable, modular option would be Bag End or Joey Nahas 1x15 and 1x12 (Brad Johnson has some Bag Ends and the 1x15 & 1x12 Nahas).
    Bag End makes an S15X-D with a smooth coax tweeter and an S15-D without. Their 1x12 is the S12-D.
    Another TBer has the Bag End 1x15 + 1x12 combination, and I forget his name, but he digs them.

I don't know if they would match the low end and output/throw of the Schroeders, but they should sound very good and be very portable.

If you play a BEAD(whatever) bass, the BE's do OK, but I doubt they will match the Schroeder 1210 in the low end.
    If you just play an EADG(whatever) bass, the Schro's will give a bit thicker tone, but both options will go plenty deep for your bass(es).

I'm very biased towards the Schroeder's; the 1210's have a great tone and great 'cut-through' playing live with a band.

The cab I traded in for my Schro 410 was a Berg HT322, one that matches your original criteria (1x12 + 2x10). A bit bigger than what it sounds like you're looking for, but a great cab.
    I just like the Schroeder 410 tone & sound projection qualities better.

6. yeah and lo-freq used to be in the Eden school of thought.

maybe he should try 1212 or 1210. I'm not too keen on paying near-retail prices and sales taxes. My experience is that I get better service via mail order from small companies.

From what I have read on this forum, chances are you will like these cabs. And if you don't ,I doubt Jorg S. will not give you a refund. And even if he didn't, you would be able to sell yours in a heartbeat.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i wont try to sell you on bag end - but its always a good idea to try them out, as well as as many cabs as you can
    i wouldn't discount the shroeders either
    just to clear one thing up, it's not necessary to have 12s or 15s for good low end. cabinet design has a lot to do with the frequency response of the enclosure, as the design of the individual drivers. Even i nthe shroeder 1210 i belive it's the 10 that is producing the low end with the help of the cabinet design.

8. There's a small company on Long Island called Brickhouse Enclosures that makes some of the best bass cabinets around. I currently use a 1x12"/1x15" enclosure with a tweeter that KILLS . You can get info on them at mcfrost.com . Good luck ...

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Twelves and fifteens are good for low mids (muff), not lows, usually. Check the specs. A 410 is your best bet for lows. You'll get good, clean bottom with no muff.

10. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    dont discount the 15 + 12 + 6 + 2 horn

you can get this setup in the accugrove el whappo (87lbs? in one box, approx $1600+), the dr. bass 1260+115 (my rig, 86 lbs in two boxes, $575) , or have lds make you one.

i bet jorg could be convinced to make a 15/12 cabinet (match that with a 12/10 and BAM ..who knows what that will sound like).

joey nahas no longer makes small pieces, only roadready big rigs. (so everyone hold on to your nahas' cabs).

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Before TB, I thought Eden & SWR were just about the only alternatives to Ampeg and Fender.

I also thought Accugroove was some bass players dabbling in cab making & going off the deep end... :)

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    personally, i think it's very cool that there are so many amp and cab makers out there now. lots of choices and it keeps the market very competitive which encourages innovation and quality, as well as leaving room for newer manufacturers to offer lower priced versions of tried and true designs (as long as they aren't infringing upon copyrights that havent expired)
    of course, all this adds up to the gas pains from hell as there are so many good and different cabs out there that it's tempting to be like tommy b and buy them all - :p

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Just wait till I win the lottery!

[Yes, I know the lottery is a tax on people who are bad at math.]

14. Go EBS neo cabs if you want portabillity and great tone. The EBS standard cabs are damn big though(Bought a 4*10, totally love it, but can't get it to my room without the great risc of ffalling down the stairs),

you've got EBS 112 and 110 neo cabs

15. Thanks everyone. I've played some BagEnd and EBS stuff but havn't messed with the AccuGroove. I'm really thinking the Schroeder is going to be the best bet. It's absolute must that my cab be very portable. Thanks.

16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Yo munji, A mix of JBL D & K 140's over here - mostly in JBL cabs - no 'muff' - No muff from a D140 in an old MM RH cab either. I think it has something to do with the JBL drivers... For the most part I find 4 - 10's to be a compromise cab. If they excel at going low, then they come along with something un-cool in the mids. I'm a 4 stringer for the most part and my cab's are either studio monitor as I like to move a little air or if I'm 'headphoned out' or stage monitors ... If someone can hear my rig over the FOH - I'm doing something seriously out-there ...

17. Well, there goes that... :(