1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

10's vs 15's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bgwatts, Apr 16, 2006.

1. What's your prefered speaker .10" or 15" and WHY?:help: Seems like you have to over EQ a ten ,to me. Can I just prfer 15's or will I get laughed out of the forum?;)

2. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    I'm a 15" guy. No 10s or 12s for me - they're not my sound, even if you have two or three 10s which will pump out more "air" than one 15.

3. It is personal preference, so you should not be laughed off the forum.
    My only 10 is in my practice amp, so it doesn't really count, but in general, 10s are punchier, and MAY be lacking in the bottom octave. 15s are more laid back, and deliver effortless bass, but MAY lack the punch of the 10. As always YMMV.

4. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I use a 1x15 ... but usually just for rehersal, I also like it for old skool tone using a P bass ... I'm going to add a 2x10 on top though (maybe the best overall choice) ...

What I use depends on where, and what I'm doing so I use the above rig some, and sometimes just 2x10s or 4x10s or 8x10s ... but usually 8x8s ... The SWR "Henry" is about my favorite cab.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Depends on what cab specifically. I love Bag End 15s, and EV 15s, but my current rig has all 10s. I also love some 12 cabs.

6. petek

petek

Mar 27, 2006
    I always rated 15's has my speaker of choice, that was until I bought an EBS Proline 4x10 cab and now I'm torn between the two. 15's have the bottom which we love but the 10's have the punch. If you can afford to buy a 4x10 and 1x15 cab, just turn up the volume and pin people to the back wall!

7. Bloodfist

Bloodfist

Mar 18, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    I used to like 15's, then I liked 15's with 410's. Now I'm just tens. They just realy make they bass sound so dominant to me. 15's sound kind of slopy.

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

If I played 4 stringers strictly, I'd have just a 2x10 in my rig, but playing 5 string basses, a 12" is also needed IMO. I've played with 15s for a long time, but after trying 10s and 12s, I'm really happy with them. The combination is the perfect balance between punch and bass response.

9. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    I keep trying 10's- I hear other players getting great sounds out of them. But they just don't work for me. Still a 15 er (but I'm getting friendly with 12's)

10. I've always liked the deep booming low end out of a 15, and is what I usually use. Haven't messed around with the 10's alot, except on my practice amp and it isn't really for me.

11. I think it has to do somewhat with the cabinet
    design as well.

One example is the Acoustic 360 used by Jaco and others.
    It has an 18" speaker and is pretty punchy
    and bright.

For 5 or 6 string bass it may be better to have
    10's though...

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You really can't judge a cab by the speaker size. My Bergantino 210 goes lower than my EV 215. The 215 is very middy. It works great as a guitar cab, and my guitarist is actually using it with a 412 for our bigger gigs. It totally depends on the cab.

13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I like both. I also like 12s, and have owned an 18 that I liked. Give me a chance to play some 8s, and I'm sure I'll like those too. It depends more on the design than the speaker size.

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    It's really the design of the cab and how it fit's into the rest of your rig and of course, the sound in your head. What it is you're trying to achieve. I've heard 2x10's that went incredible deep but lacked punch (Eden Nemisis) and 1x15s that are solid but mid-range focused (Music Man 115RH w/JBL, Sunn Beta w / JBL's), 2x10's with a broad 'vintage' character (Bag End). There's just more to it than 10's vs 12's vs 15's ...

15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    It all boils down to design. I like the clear, punchy sound of my DIY 15" cab, but it's cumbersome and no longer fits in my car, so I am trying to design a 12" system with more or less the same sound.

16. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I switched to 410 when the Hartkes came out.

Prevailing theory at the time was that strictly 10s was where it's at (the Hartkes were essentially modelled to be like half an Ampeg 8x10, with input from Jaco, who had been using the Ampegs before).

I loved the punch, but felt that bottom was missing, especially for contrabass.

I lobbied hard for the 15s with both Ron Lorman and Larry Hartke when I was there a couple of times at their factory in "the good old days".

I've since added two 115 cabs, and the combo of 2 15"s and 4 10"s actually makes for a very articulate rig. You can stack it high for projection, or spread out the two 15" cabs to couple the floor more.

I drive the cabs with an 800RB GK head, and run the two 15" cabs off the bottom in biamp for the full 300 watts (essentially 150w to each 115), and send the top amp's 100 to the 410.

10s or 15s?

Both.

17. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    10's, they have the definition and best for a punchy sound. Used to use 15's but they are too rubbery sounding by themselves. I will add a 15" if I need more bottom for some old skool sound. But got a new small amp with 12" and good compromise between the two.

In old days I used to play JBL 2 x 15", but when SVT's came out with the 8 x10's I was sold on 10's. That punchy sound can't be beat.

18. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I dont think anyone will laugh at you for using 15's. We might laugh at you for using crappy 15's however.

Ive used 2x15 before. I can dig it.

For what I do now- pretty technical prog metal- I am using 10's for the extra punch and high/midrange clarity. In some venues that have poor accoustics for low bass, I suffer a little.

If I was going to use a "compact" rig, I'd probably use a 1x15.

19. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i was recently pleasantly surprised by the GK 212 neo at a local store. more bottom end than my 115 and more articulate. more compact too.

i think it depends on the cab itself. i can't see how a normal-cost 115 would sound better than an array of 10's or 12's. i played an epifani 410ul recently that had the lot, bottom, punch and highs.

i would love to try out a NV215, as reports around here suggest they are articulate aswell as strong on the bottom.

20. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I played through 2x15s for years, and am currently playing through a 4x10 and a 1x15, and loving it - best of both worlds, IMO...

- georgestrings