Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

10s15sBsAndBottom

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, May 4, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I know this has been asked probably hundreds of times before but I never looked cuz I was never interested. I'm a bass geek, far from an amp geek but working hard at it.

Talking strictly combos here, what's the difference btwn 2X10s and 1X15? Specifically:

Will one handle a B better than the other?
    Will one handle more volume than the other?
    Will one distort more quickly?
    Will the 15 give more bottom?
    Will the 2 10s sound a lot thinner than the 15?

I'm very close to ordering one of the new Fender 250s, and wanted a 15, but it seems only the 2X10 models are currently available anywhere. All thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

2. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Joe,
    I tried to ask all those questions in my search for the best cab for me (one with a lot of bass handling). I kept getting the same answer: there are so many variables, you just have to try them out yourself. I know this isn't the easiest way to go, but you have to hear the difference.

Generally, though, a 15 is bassier than a 2x10. But, since there are a lot of variables involved, you do run into things like the Eden 2x10 cabs that are bassier than many 15s....

3. I can't answer all your questions, but it's been my experience that 2x10s will give you a "punchier" sound, many times with better mids and highs. The 1x15 will give a deeper sound, but don't usually reproduce highs as well. They will handle more bass, so if bottom end is what you need the most, then a 15 will do better. That deep-bottom-end sound doesn't always cut through the mix as well as a punchy sound, but 15s can still be punchy.. Depends on the speaker and the amp and EQ settings.
    Alot of cabinets come equipped with high frequency horns to help out the high end, but many of these are equipped with cheaper crossovers and don't always sound all that great. Some of the more expensive cabinets do use quality crossovers.

The best of both worlds is to run both of the cabs together. Depending upon the amp you intend to power your cabs with, you might want to think carefully about this before you buy. If your amp has a minimum load of 4 ohms, you should consider buying 8 ohm cabs. With both cabs your load would be 4 ohms (in parallel) , giving you max power from your amp. If your amp is stable into 2 ohms, you should consider buying 4 ohm cabs that will give you 2 ohms when run together. If, for example, your amp had a minimum load of 4 ohms, and you bought a single 4 ohm cabinet, there would be no way to run two 4 ohm cabs together on that amp without dropping the load to 2 ohms (parallel), or raising it to 8 ohms (series).

I'm a firm believer that no single speaker will do it all, even though many people are perfectly happy with multiple 10s, 12s, and 15s cabinets..

Mag...

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    15s? mfff mfff mfff mfff

A good 410 will be a lot "bassier" than, say, a 215. Check some specs.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Again, Munji nails it right on the head. A good 4x10 will have much more low end and volume than a mediocre 1x15, and many 2x15's as well. Don't always assume that a 15 will go lower than 10's, its all in the design and quality of the cab and components.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I am ONLY interested in the differences between 1X15 and 2X10s.

Any experience with eminence speakers, the ones they say are in the new Fenders?

7. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    What I've found is that there are plenty of 4x10's that can handle lows very well on paper BUT even though a cab loaded with 10's has a frequency response as low or lower than a 15 the 15 will usually sound better in the lows.

8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Eminence has a long track record in the industry used by many of the big names. They make a good product that sounds good and is very reliable. Don't hesitate about Eminence. Fender will make a good amp with either a 15 or two 10's. In my expirience with my bergantinos, my single 15 works better as a stand alone than my 2 10 for higher volume situations, but I prefer the tens for all around use because of the quickness and the upper mids over the 15. But thats the Berg. Your mileage may vary.
    You might find that both perform equally well, just different.

2-10's typically go lower, he's right the specs don't lie. And NO 15 will match the output of 4-10's. not sure why that comparison was made.

Each will have a different overall sound. Decide on your personal preference based on actual test and try outs. Good luck.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OKAY OKAY, then. Check the pic below. It sounds fine bi-amped, but if I put it all through the 115, ... mfff mfff mfff mfff.