1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

10W guitar combo - knob settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vroum, Apr 15, 2010.

1. vroum

vroum

Mar 5, 2010
    Hello,

If things go well, I'll buy a bass tomorrow! I can't wait!

I'll get a Vox Amplug bass, so I can learn to play the instrument without bugging my family, somethimes I'll want to play without headphones at a low level in the basement. I'd like to buy a bass combo, but money doesn't grow [DEL]in[/DEL] on trees...

I have a 10 Watts, twin-speaker guitar practice combo (Boss MG-10) who is collecting dust in the basement. The only thing to do would be to repair the plug on the cord.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2589/3876765017_d3e9438412.jpg

There are many knobs on it: Gain, Volume, Master Volume, Bass (can be pulled for a "warp" effect), middle, treble, presence.

Comments in similar guitar-amp threads recommend to turn down the bass knob, so the speakers won't blow up. Could I get recommendations for the other knobs, so I can prevent a catastrophe?

I am aware of how better a real bass amp would be. I'll buy a big combo when my kids will be older and play instruments as well :)

Thank you!

2. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    bass and treble to 0 mid to high, volume low

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Who told you that? :eek::eek::eek::D

4. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    yeah, the money grows on them, not in them.

5. welllllll, money is made from a mixture of cotton and linen, IIRC, sooo in a way, it kind of does. :p:D

6. vroum

vroum

Mar 5, 2010
    You are right. Sorry. Shakespeare's tongue isn't my first language - I do my best...

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Gain is how strong the signal from your bass is going into the amp. Master is how much power is coming out of the amp and into the speaker. These two kinda work together. Gain high and master low means more grit in general, gain low and master high usually means cleaner sound. As for the tone knobs, set them all in the middle and play at lower volume. Turn each knob all the way up and all the way down to see how each affects the sound. Find something you like and then add a little volume to it. If you want to play louder but not get too raunchy, you're going to have to take the bass down as the volume goes up. If you want a bassy sound you're likely going to have to have it quieter.

If this is a 10 watt guitar amp don't expect to get very loud without a good dose of distortion in the sound. Don't expect big deep full bass either. If it's an openback combo (where you can see the speaker from the back) it might help a little to screw a piece of wood on the back to seal the box the speaker's in.

Use it for bedroom practice until she blows. It's nothing craigslist and a couple 20's can't replace.

8. vroum

vroum

Mar 5, 2010
    @honestjohnny & will33 : thanks for your comments!
    @santucci218 & al.: thanks for the English lesson!
    :)