1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

11/16 in millimeters (they only drill mm )

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stuntbass77, Dec 5, 2017.

1. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    so my wife wants to get me a 30” scale Eden neck to try to see if it eases my nerve pain. I know I could get a Lowe neck that would be really nice but it will cost much more and this is a test for now and if it really helps I may sell the fender and go short scale all together. They only drill holes in millimeters and I have hardware that’s fender brand and 11/16” bushings/tuners ( 70’s style tuners) . What millimeter hole so that my 11/16” bushings will fit ( not too small or large ). I understand a little bigger is better as I can wrap the inside of the bushing with aluminum tape to fill the gap but if too small they won’t go in at all. Anyone have a real life answer ( ever done this kind of thing ) ?

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    11/16” = 17.4625 mm

Use this information as you like. :)

stuntbass77 likes this.
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I would personally go smaller and ream the holes...

mech, 96tbird and RSBBass like this.
  4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You can't just put a 30" scale neck on a body designed for 34" scale without moving the bridge.
    There are scale conversion necks, but they're pretty rare. Does Eden make that kind of neck?

96tbird likes this.
  5. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    yes, It meant for a fender style body/neck pocket which is 2 1/2'' . It is a conversion neck.

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Neck pocket size and bridge location are two different things.
    It says in the product description that it is meant to replace a 34" scale neck to convert the bass to 30" scale without moving the bridge?

96tbird likes this.
  7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
  8. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Fractions to decimal converter? Doesn’t everyone have a calculator on their phone? ;)

One inch is 25.4 mm.

P.s. there are threads about low tension strings. They may help as well. I like the black tape wounds.

P.p.s. Sounds like the dumbest idea ever but if you want to know how a 30” neck feels for your hand just measure back 4” from the nut, that’s about four frets, and put a capo (obviously where nobody can see you . That will keep you from playing lower. Doesn’t work if you’re gigging etc of course.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The OP indicated this is a conversion neck.

10. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Looking at Eden's necks online, none are listed as long to short scale conversion necks.
    Lowe makes a 34" to 32 conversion neck, but as far as I can find, nobody makes one that goes 34" to 30".

11. 11/16 in. = 0.6875 in.

There are 2.54 cm in every inch, so:

0.6875 in. * 2.45 cm/in = 1.74625 cm

You have two choices now, make the hole 18mm or 17mm

If you go for 17mm you'll just need to sand the holes, wrap the sandpaper around a dowel that's just smaller than the hole & sand...
    or if you go bigger just wedge a toothpick end in to make it snug, or even a slip of paper

OTOH, if they can drill them 17.5mm, you're golden!

sissy kathy likes this.