Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

11 string bass guitar, practical or hype

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Oct 7, 2005.

11 string bass guitar,practical or hype

Poll closed Oct 14, 2005.
  1. Practical

48.6%
  2. hype

31.7%
  3. not sure

19.7%
  1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Fellow TB member and ERBassist Jean Baudin has been waiting for close to a year(I'm sorry two years) for the completion of his 11 string Bass made by Ken Lawrence and prior to him finally receiving it(just a couple of days ago)he had posted several months

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175320&page=1&pp=20

in advance that he had it coming and in the process he gathered quite a buzz.the Bass looks killer(it's tuned Low C# to high Eb)and I support and respect his choice along with fellow 11 string users Garry Goodman and Al Caldwell to have an instrument like this built and I find it very practical so I was wondering is it practical,hype or not sure?

and for the record this has nothing to do with my other post.me and Jean are the koolest of friends and we do support each other.

2. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    I've worked on submarines smaller than that neck......looks like a tendonitis machine. IMVHO, that is.

3. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    It's nice to look at, but I can't see the average person doing anything practical with it. Well, that, and most of us don't have the patience (or the talent) to take a month mapping out a Bach Invention, as Jean did with his 9.

WHERE'S THE CLAW?

4. I clicked 'practical' because it very well may be for Jean. For most players, it's not. I don't think either of the other options fit, either. It's not hype and I have a good idea of how I feel about it...good on ya, Jean!

5. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Jaquo, I gotta say, PRACTICAL is not a fair word to use. That insinuates that it should be a preferred thing to do instead of useful. Like a hybrid car is practical due to gas conservation.

You may not think there is a difference, but I won't consider anything practical unless it makes total sense on all fronts to do it. I would say its useful in the hands of the right person.

I'd only say its hype if a person has this item and can't make effective use of it.

6. I'd say its practical, cause he will use all of those strings.

If like, some kid in a punk band got one and only used 2 strings, then that would be hype-ish.

7. A 4 string is practical for me, 7 & 8 strings for JT and Mark Beem, 11 for Al and Jean. Just matters on the person. I'd hate to think anyone would get a bass just for the "wow" factor and to have it impractical, especially considering the amount of money and time waiting spent.

8. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Jaquo, I TOTALLY stand corrected. Started thinking about the use of that word.

prac·ti·cal ( P ) Pronunciation Key (prkt-kl)
    adj.
    Of, relating to, governed by, or acquired through practice or action, rather than theory, speculation, or ideals: gained practical experience of sailing as a deck hand.
    Manifested in or involving practice: practical applications of calculus.
    Actually engaged in a specified occupation or a certain kind of work; practicing.
    Capable of being used or put into effect; useful: practical knowledge of Japanese. See Usage Note at practicable.
    Intended to serve a purpose without elaboration: practical low-heeled shoes.
    Concerned with the production or operation of something useful: Woodworking is a practical art.
    Level-headed, efficient, and unspeculative.
    Being actually so in almost every respect; virtual: a practical disaster.

So yeah, definitely practical for the right people.

9. I put not sure because, to be honest, I dont think I've really heard anything more than a 7 string other than the Super Mario Theme or Bach being played on it. In my mind, it seems more of a novelty but I think once I hear it in its proper setting, my mind will change.

10. Don't bring Jean into this.

Your tuning is just not practical and the appeal is far too esoteric, whereas he has a tremedous range that he could employ for any given style he may need to cover.

11. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    The Mario theme is actually a bad example, since it can be played unchanged on a five string, and on a four string it only needs ONE small bass part raised an octave higher, because the highest and the lowest note of the whole tune are exactly three octaves and a major third apart (but a 25 fretter would be alright). Manually it's perfectly possible to play it.

Oh. By "unchanged" I meant the melody, not the key. :p

Nevertheless, I think that an 11-12 stringged bass is by all means practical for the guys who play them and I agree with Tyler Hole. You guys are Cool! :bassist:

12. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    For him it is a great instrument and I'm sure he will make some incredible music on it. for me it would be hype as I would be lost on trying to play that beast. BTW I love the "Joust" theme, my fav video game back in the day.

13. You're liking these kinds of threads aren't you Jauqo? :p

And Jean was waiting closer to two years for this one. Since November 2003 I think. Ken has a long waiting list.

14. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I would love to hear some clips of Jean playing one of 9+ stringed basses in a band setting.....I"ve heard some of his solo clips but never heard anything else.

15. Check out the Nuclear Rabbit promo vid on their website :)

16. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Also, is anyone else not able to get onto Jean's website? haven't been able to get on the past two days.

17. NR is a great example of Jean using all of the 9.

Been working fine for me.

18. It's practical for Jean because anyone that's seen Jean play his ERB's can attest to the fact that he puts them to very good use. He is a musician not just a bassist.

19. Practical for Jean. He's the best ERBass player ive ever seen and his playing in nuclear rabbit (of which I am a very big fan) really benefits from that range. I dunno if I could pull it off myself, thats why I personally wouldnt go there, but beleive me, if I could play an 11 string and had the money, I would certainly get one!

20. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Practical for Jean +1