11-string bass not that impossible...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ConklinRules, Jul 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi !

While reading through the threads (I'm new here) I heard about this 11-string thing with the user WarriorBass wanting one. That interested me and so I wrote to Bill Conklin if this is impossible.
    He said if you get a thing enough string for the high D# and somebody crazy enough to build 11-string pickup it would be possible at a 36" scale.
    Huh, interesting thing that...

:D :D :D
  2. I'm sure a High D# could be made. The guage wouldn't reallt have to be much thinner than a typical high C string on a 6er. I think a .015 would be thin enough for the D#.

I'm wondering how that monster would be tuned if someone actually did make it?

I'd be so lost trying to play it, the neck would be as wide as a surfboard and twice as thick! :D

John Turner only needs 7 strings. :D

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    No its not Impossible at all I think most of the guys and ladies know that .J.Hellborg had a 10,Reggie Wotten has a 10,Bill Dickens had a 9,John Turner has his multistring family,and I once owned and played a 9 but now I play an 8 and have been in talks with a luthier about a 12 string bass.so an 11 string is more than possible.that was not the issue with Warriorbass,the issue was 46' scale and a string going lower than the Low C# and higher and the validity in Warriorbass's tone.like John Turner pointed out its guys like that who give bassist who want to be themselves and instinctively push the limits in the most sincere form a blackeye.
  4. This monster would be tuned (from low to high)

And the gauge Bill Conklin uses for the A# is already 15". It has to be sth. around 10-12"

Neck wideness at a stringspacing of 21mm would be 8" :eek: :eek:

Crazy thing this...
  5. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    You could land a 747 on that runway.
  6. I dont see much of a need for more than 5, unless your Oteil. Otherwise, get a guitar.
  7. Jauqo, you said you were in talk with a luthier about a 12 stringer.
    How would that thing be tuned and what would be the specs of it ?
  8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Guitars don't come with 11 strings.
  9. But they do come in 12 strings. I feel the same. If you go to about 6 or 7 strings...ok...but much more why don't you just get a 12 string guitar? Also, why would you want that many strings on a bass? For chords? Don't mean to be ignorant...just never asked or been told...:oops:
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Nope. Hell, many guitarists who consider a mere 7-string have to undergo stereotyping about being a metalhead.

There's no reason that a bass has to have 4 strings or a guitar has to have 6. Props to us bassists for being so willing (moreso than guitarists, anyway) to step outside the arbitrary restrictions of "tradition" and explore new possibilities: composite materials, exotic tonewoods, additional strings, active electronics. I don't mean to say that traditional basses and guitars are inferior, only that they aren't right for everyone.

Ok, I'm off the soapbox. :D
  11. 11 strings can used in very diverse ways: playing chords, nice solos, the low-end for the real punch in the stomach.
    And these multi-strings aren't that hard to handle.
    I play a 9-string by Conklin and have no problems at
    all but I also got very, very big hands
  12. That's what I was gonna ask next...aren't the necks really wide? But I guess that there are a lot of things that you could do with them that you couldn't with a ordinary 4 or 5 stringer. I played a 6 string one time at the store and I thought that was much...shows how much I know and how much I suck at bass :(
  13. As said above : a 11-stringer with 21mm string-spacing would have a 8" wide neck :rolleyes:
  14. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm one of the most open minded people you'll meet, but even I have to ask, "Why?" :confused:
  15. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Why not just buy a harp?

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    For the record I have been in talks with a luthier about it,its kind of in the air but if I decide to do it the tuning will be F# B E A D G C F Bb Eb Ab Db.the same luthier has already made a 9 string guitar for one of my guitarist and he's making him an 11 string one as well .I've been playing basses with more than 6 strings for a while Conklin once made me an 8 string fretless with a fanned fingerboard,and Warrior made me a 9 string bass,I primarly play an 8 string Warrior.for me the necks have to be a certain thinnest,my necks are thinner than the thinnest necks Warrior already offer and the necks are very sturdy.the same luthier also makes some very interesting EUB's he made an 8 strind(doubled)EUB that Reggie Wooten now owns.and he's made me a very nice four string. I have and play 4's,5's,and 6's as well ,I surely dont take my 8 on most traditional gigs or to just any recording session.I have the use of my basses well balanced.
  17. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Doubled, yes, 2x6. I haven't seen many guitars with twelve singular strings. Or eleven, for that matter. ;)
  18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm still curious to see your 9 string - i talked to bill conklin today about it and he said he's never made one with the specs you mentioned. since you just wrote to him, he should know who you are and what you are talking about.

i also find it interesting that you brought up that warriorbass thread - you wouldn't happen to know him, would you? between the two of you, you guys must be the best outfitted bassists in germany.

you know, internet discussion forums are only as valuable as the truthfulness and validity of the posts of their participants. many of the regular participants on this forum have been around for a long time - shoot many of them have even met and discussed things in person. there's credibility built around experience and actual proof that lend a stamp of validity to what they say. without such factual "backup", the information exchange process can become compromised to the point of total collapse and worthlessness, and then a forum such as this one becomes no better than any of the other numerous virtual "school yard hang outs" on the web.

i look forward to some pics of the 9 string - digital camera perhaps? :)

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Hey everybody ConklinRules and Warriorbass are conjoined twins :):)
  20. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You two the same person, right?

There are hardly any Conklin and Warrior users in Germany - so I might (or might not) have heard of you, 9-stringers even more so.
    Care to clarify?

BTW: 4x15, 3x10 plus 2 tweeters in one cab? Two of those? Come on!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.