Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

11 String Bass!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stewmc5222, Apr 9, 2003.

1. I don't know if he's posted it to the site yet (http://www.adlerguitars.com), but Michael Adler's just finished his first 11 string! it's tuned C#-F#-B-E-A-D-G-C-F-Bb-Eb, has a bolt-on neck, fanned frets, and weighs in at 14.5 pounds! there are a couple of blurry photos up in Greg Campbell's MSB gallery...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/multistringBASSIST/

the barriers are all falling! :D

from the low end,

Stew

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Eep. That thing is nutty. So is the 9 stirng Lightwave bass!

The only thing I can think of to say is....

Wait for it......

"JT only needs 7 strings!"

:bassist:

3. LOL :D :D :D

yeah, that JT whippersnapper...

that is the Lightwave 9, too.

what do you think of the 11?

from the curious low end,

Stew

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think comes a time when too much is too much.
    11 is too much.

Even with an extra set of knuckles, I hardly see how one would be comfortable on such an instrument other than tapping it.

5. Uncle Fat

Uncle Fat Guest

Mar 14, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Good god, What freq is a low C#? Will you ever hear the fundimental?

6. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    [​IMG]

Any questions? :D

Seriously--what is the point in a C# below F#? I'd love to see the guy play it, though.

7. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    ......I don't get the point of that pic there, bassmonkee.....oh well...

and where would I find the pics mentioned? im not seein em.....

8. questions, questions...

well, the aircraft carrier shot is about how wide the neck and body of the bass are, Killdar.

:p

I have yet to hear a low C# string, but there are only a handful of them in the world and they're still in R&D. the primary trial guy is Jauqo !!-X who came up with the idea.

you can find out what specific freedom the note is from the frequency chart on Grant Green's great site http://www.contrabass.com if you're really curious.

as to the practicality of the thing, well, I wanted a low F# long before it was a practicality or anything like a reality for a bass (~ '89 or so). now that I'm putting it through my AccuGrooves I can play ostinato lines if I want below 31Hz, so I don't doubt that there are notes down there. Jauqo assures me ther are and he's using a 4 string tunes C#-F#-B-E to test his!

as to the wide neck and the feasibility/viability of the instrument, it depends on one's approach and technique, doesn't it? tapping is certainly do-able as as evidenced by Jean Baudin's playing on his 9, but Bill Dickens and Greg Campbell are using traditional bass techniques for the most part in their playing.

I see it as a bit ungainly or unweildy from an aesthetic viewpoint, but I'd love to fool around with it. I have more than enough upper register range on my 8, but I'm *always* curious about more depth!

:D

from the low end,

Stew

9. the pics are in the photo gallery. when you get to the MSB homepage, check out the column on the left and click 'Photos'. in the gallery marked 'Gorgeous Luthiery' it's in the 'adler' folder...

from the depths of low,

Stew

10. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    lol....wow.....im slow....:p

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    speaking of Jauqo, if anybody talks to him tell him to call me.:)

12. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Ding! We have a winner! I was wondering if that'd be too odd a reference, or not.

I'm all for people stretching the boundaries of bassiositude. In fact, I'd love to borrow that thing to show up at a Blues Jam. :D

If that guy wanted an 11 string bass, more power to him. It makes my hands hurt just looking at it (says the guy with six and 8 string fretlesses....)

From his Glass House,
    Bassmonkeee

13. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ditto

14. to add to the history of this instrument...

if this is the same greg campbell who goes by gregory bruce campbell and lives in montana, he used to own a 9-string warrior. he started a pissing match over at musicplayer.com about how anyone using a 4 was a luddite. still, eventually we all saw eye-to-eye, agreeing that we're using tools to create music.

when i bought a couple preamps from him, he sent me a copy of his solo cd. the thing i didn't like about it was low F#. it wasn't clear or musically tasteful or useful in my opinion. different strokes for different folks, i guess, because now the F# isn't low enough.

robb.

15. Billdog

Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    a low C# may not even be within a human's ability to hear. We can only hear down to 20Hz, and that's if you have really good ears. I haven't figured out what C3 would be, or what F# is for that matter, but a B is 31Hz, so really, you can only have 11hz less than that without exceeding audible range. Now whether or not you can feel it/ shake the house with a C#, I don't know.:D

16. I'll have to post something tomorrow, 'cause my PC at home refuses to let me upload to TB.

yes, it's the same Gregory Bruce Campbell.

this C# (or C#0) is around 17Hz. F# on these basses works out at round 23Hz.

the thing to remember is that more often you're not hearing the fundamental but the *overtones* of super-low notes. the sound waves of anything below low B need TONS of room to really open up. we're talking about psycho-acoustics here, how the brain interprets sound. this is why pipe organs are assembled inside cathedrals.

from the low end,

Stew

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    In a nutshell: Rediculous!

18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That'd be one helluva big nut, Woodchuck...:meh:

19. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    LOL hey Robb!!! How are you?

I still own those warrior 9's, but they are both on ebay as we speak!

Now above... Please remember that pissing match was a sarcastic stab at all the posts i was inquiring that were just pure negativity towards basses i really DIG...

the humor / irony did not translate however, but hey I'm getting used to that... i make my wife mad everyday! ;)

I had seen a post once titled "anything more than 4 is pointless" so i sarcastically started a thread titled "anything less than 5 is pointless."...

Sometimes my points and humor go WAY too far, but hey I'm young and have a TON to learn! LOL

On the subject of F# that CD i sent you was my early F#, and early looping for me... i have found more and more uses for it, but i do agree its just not for everyone...

I have not recorded anything since then really but am getting ready to do so...

The coolest thing i have learned recently... a point made by both Fred at BEE basses and Michael at Adler basses...

Fred recently built an 8 string BEE bass that is currently in my possession ... he said that being the first bass he built with an F# it seemed to improve the tone and clarity of the other strings...

MY OWN take on this could be, if you want a "tighter low B".... ....Just add on a low F#...

Michael from Adler is a fellow 9 stringer himself ... building this 11, he told me that adding the low C# seemed to intensify / tighten the low F# ???

Pretty wild...

Its funny how many comments are often negative...

But the way i see it... it's like NASCAR... multistringers are pushing the envelope and trying things to make the world safer for the working 4 stringers! :bassist:

Kudos from me, to anyone willing to invest a chunk of time into such experimentation...

In fact I have spent the day researching the Internet because I suddenly have a hankering for a 9 string washtub bass!

:spit:

:D