1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

11 Year Old Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Dec 13, 2011.

1. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Kids that age absorb information much faster than adults. They can make huge strides in short amounts of time if they can turn off the xbox long enough to practice.

That being said, not funky to me at all. He's consistently ahead of the beat.

2. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    He's good!

3. BassMom88

BassMom88

Oct 17, 2011
    That's Michael Pipoquinha "little popcorn" from Brazil. He's almost 15 now I think. He plays with some great Brazilian bass players in some other videos ---Sergio Groove and Thiago Espirito Santo.
    Both are involved with the NH Bass Workout this January!

Here's the one with Sergio

4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I posted that same clip on my FB!

5. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    God dammit, I feel like selling my bass on Craigslist for 20 bucks and taking up kazoo or something...ha ha...

6. jazzyitalian

jazzyitalian Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Lawyer and Hobbist Bass Maker
    Well....A child's ability to pick up on things fast is generally considered a true statement. But given the level that this kid is at, I think we all have to concede that his "absorption" is just a tad bit more gifted than the average kid. He's very good and at only 11 years old he's "exceptional". He's one of those child prodigies we see paraded around on American TV shows. In 5-years we'll all be buying his CD's.

He's also playing a six string, I wonder if any of us can remember struggling to play the length of a fret board on small acoustic guitar at 11. I do. He plays it like there is no distance.

These prodigies are in a different zone. And I've heard phycologists talk about it. Where most of us that improvise can visualize the patterns of playable notes, these prodigies are one step ahead. They have something like sonic recall. They see the fret board like us as well. But they know exactly what the note will sound like before playing it. They know it all in 16/4 time.

That's uncanny stuff. I am impressed. I hope he doesn't turn into something detrimental. I always worry about the flip side. It seems to me that these kinds of exceptional people manage to tap into their crazy side or just a poor sense of judgement. You know what I mean... Jaco, Bobby Fisher, Amy Winehouse etc...)

7. BassMom88

BassMom88

Oct 17, 2011
    I like the term "Sonic Recall".....it's actually a thing, but it's called "Synesthesia". There's quite a bit of new research out and a bunch of new books....I have a bunch of them and I'm trying to read as much as I can about the subject to understand it better.
    Not sure if this young man has it or not, but I did think that the first time I saw his videos.

"Tasting the Universe" is one of the new books by Maureen Seaberg. She interviews some famous synesthetes:

This is from the website: Tasting The Universe | Home
    "This book uncovers first-time testimony from famous synesthetes including Itzhak Perlman, Billy Joel, the Amazing Kreskin and the family of Marilyn Monroe (who had it). And there are are many more: Duke Ellington, Vladmir Nabokov, John Mayer, Eddie Van Halen, physicist Richard Feynman, Richard Wagner, Vincent Van Gogh, Franz Liszt, Olivier Messiaen, philosopher David Chalmers, novelist and artist Douglas Coupland, Stevie Wonder, composer Stephen Schwartz (Godspell, Pippin, Wicked), Nobel Prize winner Orhan Pamuk and many others are believed to have exhibited the gift."

The other day I saw a video about composer Jay Greenberg. He has this condition to an extreme degree (there are all different types). At a very young age he was composing symphonies. This video is from 2006, so he's much older now, but it's an interesting piece. He just wrote recently on his Facebook wall about his synesthesia...he didn't realize he had it. Many people don't, because it's so normal to them.
    12 Year Old Music Prodigy - Bluejay - 60 minutes - YouTube

It's fascinating stuff!! :)

8. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Victor Wooten was doing this by the time he was eleven, and that was because he had been playing for 8 years at that point. Talent is a nonexistant term used by lazy people.

9. Yes. For example, people think that Mozart for a prodigy but if you read his biography, his father groomed him constantly since a very young age and frankly speaking the first compositions Mozart composed were not that spectacular.

Not that having some kind of starting point helps a lot, like having an ear for music, hearing chord structures, scales, remembering/internalizing them easily, fast reflexes and so on. But the rest is pretty much a lot of practice and learning from mistakes.

Which is good as that means anyone with a little bit musical talent could get very far if they put the time and energy into this. Helps indeed if you start young.

10. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    This reminds me of that book "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell. I loved it because I've always questioned the whole idea of "natural talent" in the context of all these "geniuses." I recommend it to anyone who is similarly skeptical! Especially when it comes to music, it really DOES come down to how much time you put into playing your instrument. That's not to discredit this kid's abilities by any means, but it doesn't come out of left field.

11. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Oh, well, if he's not 11 anymore then FORGET IT, HE SUCKS! :p Nah, I'm kidding.

It's funny, my mom took piano lessons as a kid for a few years, but nobody else in my family is really into music. I started piano lessons at age 8 because I WANTED to, not because my parents forced me. For whatever reason, I was a really self-disciplined kid, even as a teenager. I think when you're a kid, being able to kinda hyper-focus on something, helps you to get good at it.