1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

11 Year Old Cheerleader Refuses to "Shake It" Told to Go Home

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LilRay, Oct 20, 2010.

1. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    http://www.nbc-2.com/Global/story.asp?S=13334176

What do you guys think? Do we need to sexualize little girls as young as 6?

Does the little girl that didn't want to "shake it" need to be kicked off the squad over one cheer?

I know that there are those who'll say "Not a big deal", but what about including others with different beliefs rather than excluding?

God Bless, Ray

2. MattimusPrime

MattimusPrime

Jul 22, 2009
    I think She should be given an award - standing up against something like that at age 11 takes guts!

3. It has a creep factor that is on par with beauty pageants for younger girls.

4. I don't think this is about sexualizing little girls but rather, doing what's popular. For a long time cheerleading was essentially hand motions, flips, and feats of human architecture. But as time has passed actual dance has become a much larger part of it. It just so happens that the currently popular dances are inherently sexual. To me it didn't look like they were doing anything sexual though. Honestly, it looked pretty innocent. I've seen versions of the Macarena that would leave old women wide eyed and horrified, this... was far more tame than even the calmest hip-moving dances I've seen, lol. Just look at the video and tell me if you actually see anything questionable there. It looks like their doing a faster less precise version of the Twist :p. You could see similar dances or kids shows.

I see where this girl might be uncomfortable doing this but as a cheerleader her job is to have people look at her, feel her energy, and feed off of it. If she isn't doing that then how could she stay on the team? Cheerleading and sports in general aren't about accepting other beliefs they're about getting the job done within the rules set for you and if you don't want to do that why join? And if she wants to continue being a cheerleader it'll only get worse. What happens when they start doing the high kicks, flips, and jump where people can see their bloomers or sport shorts or whatever they wear under their skirts? It kinda comes with the package.

5. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    I found the cheer coaches apathetic response of "Rather than explain why to the others, I thought it to be easier to ask her not to participate":rollno:(Slight Paraphrase).

Well I hope her laziness of the difficult activity of talking has cost her not only her job but a big "You're lazy" from all the parents.;)

God Bless, Ray

6. This, I completely agree with. How hard would it be to explain to a kid that what they're doing isn't wrong (for better or worse)? As a coach your job is to motivate! If you have someone that doesn't want participate you ask them why then tell them why they're wrong in the most inspiring way possible. I don't know if she should be fired but she definitely could take some tips from better coaches.

7. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    I don't entirely disagree Kwesi about this being "tame" compared to other things, but I see it as a seed toward all the other more sexualized moves being OK.

What would it harm the squad if the one little girl stood still during the "shake it" part? I don't believe it's fair to toss all her "spirit/energy" she makes others feel, because of her unwillingness to complete one of 40+ cheers.

Am I wrong?

God Bless, Ray

8. SJLee

SJLee

Nov 7, 2007
    NoVA
    I agree with you Ray. These kids are too young to start shaking their butts for a crowd. What's interesting but fodder for another thread is how they're now teaching pole dancing to young girls as exercise. IMO, those who don't understand this have become inured by today's highly sexualized culture. Try to find a TV show that isn't about sex and laiden with sexual innuendos.

9. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Here would be my tip; "Get off your butt and do your job". Anybody can get a cheer manual and recite it to kids so that they learn the words/moves. The "coach" comes in with motivating the girls to do and be their best IMO.

God Bless, Ray

10. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    yes.

11. Saying that it's a seed toward the more sexual moves of more advanced cheerleading is fair but the fact is that's what cheerleading is now and it's gonna take far more than one little girl to effect any change in modern cheerleading.

It may not be a huge deal but one girl just standing around not dancing for even a single part doesn't deliver the same effect as the entire squad doing it in unison. That difference may or may not be that big but at the end of the day that's the coaches call. I suppose she could just sit out that one routine though. But think about a single team member in any other sport (football, basketball, even martial arts) objecting to a single part of a play or routine. Can you tell me that they wouldn't be booted/suspended for that?

You're not wrong, she shouldn't have been kicked for refusing one cheer especially considering the generally inclusive nature of under-13 team sports but in the long run (if she wants to continue being a cheerleader or dancer), she's going to have to deal.

12. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Why is shaking your butt inherently sexual? My 3 year old does it when she's grooving to a song she likes, as does my 10 month old, to an extent. It's not something they were taught and I guarantee they don't see any sexual connotation there. The chicken dance involves some booty shaking. Is that sexual?

While there is an epidemic of sexualization of progressively younger ladies, at some point people just need to lighten up. What's next? Do we ban the hokie-pokie because putting your left hand in and shaking it all about is too suggestive of "manual relief"?

13. Anyone in the crowd actively looking at these girls butts needs to be watched by the authorities.

The first 12 seconds of this video (totally SFW) is more sexual than anything in those cheerleaders repertoire and this kid has to be less than half their age.

Teaching young girls pole dancing is completely different situation but somehow I see it becoming more and more acceptable.

14. SJLee

SJLee

Nov 7, 2007
    NoVA
    But it doesn't have to be.

15. While not inherently sexual, it sounds like it was being done in such a way as to make it sexual. Out of the 40 routines, it is just that one part of one routine that the girl has a problem with.

16. Exactly! I was thinking of a dance that looked just like this one and the Chicken just slipped my mind. I agree completely with this. I swear if they ban naked Twister I don't know how I'll meet women :p

That's like saying war doesn't have to be a bunch of guys killing each other, it could be opposing sides playing a game of Chess. It is what it is and it's not changing anytime soon. That's just how things are for better or worse.

17. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    I agree completely there K;).

So if a young man was getting consistently "mugged" by a particular opponent and asked to be replaced, should he be asked to quit the team? Or should it be he sit out a game and play again later?

She then can make a more informed and independant decision later in life, when she discovers what she deems to be right or wrong. We're talking about small kids, not teens or young adults who have a greater bearing of right and wrong. Whatever they determine those to be.

God Bless, Ray

18. SJLee

SJLee

Nov 7, 2007
    NoVA
    That may be the case if know one stands up and tries to make it different. If know one does anything about it it won't change.

19. Well I don't think that's a fair comparison unless by "mugged" you mean getting an aggressive look and not getting constantly run into the ground, lol. Cheerleading doesn't have an actual opponent (other Cheerleaders, maybe?) so a comparison involving the opponent on another team would be difficult to relate it to. Besides... if the guy getting mugged really wanted out he could fake an injury :p

Good point :)

20. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    No it's not sexual in lots of instances, but as your kids do grow, they'll learn of it being sexual in certain situations. Not to mention this is in public.

I think we need to lighten up too Pookie. We need to lighten up and accept someones right to refuse to do something as a child. Here's a what's next for you; What when our kids are told "If you don't eat the broccoli you can't have anything else to eat"?

Let the little girl not participate in the one part she disagrees with and have fun with her other teammates all the rest of the time. What's wrong with that scenario?

God Bless, Ray