110 E string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by T-birdfan, Oct 7, 2002.

1. T-birdfan

Jan 29, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Does anyone use a 110 E string for their four string bass. I normally use a 105 set(50 70 85 105) of Ernie Ball slinkys. I'm just curious about how different the 110 would be when I'm so used to the 105. The big reason I ask is that there is a good deal I've found , but the set is 50 70 85 110. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  2. I use it on all of my 4-stringers. Helps when I use my Hipshot and go to a low D. I like 'em.

As for my 5 and 6 string basses, they usually range from .30 .40 .60 .80 .100 .130
  3. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I use Labella jamerson flats on my p-bass (.110 E) and they are the thumpiness, highest tension strings i've ever played.
  4. T-birdfan

Jan 29, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    The ones I'm looking at are Rotosound 66s. I usually play drop D and they'll be going on a warmoth j I'm slapping together. Will I have to change my action or relief very much? I remember my first experience with flats. They threw my neck way out of whack. I think I might get them just to try anyway.
  5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Billy Sheehan uses a .110 E because he uses his hipshot so much.
  6. The Ernie Ball power bass strings feel pretty flexible, and play like most other 105's IMHO.
  7. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I'm using a 110 DR High Beam set on my Yamaha BB200. They are the best sounding strings I've put on this bass to date. That big fat E string makes a ton of difference.
  8. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    a 0.110 E string can not be that bad... it will definitely add some meat to your tone for your bass.

I use a 120 string for my C# tuning, which is a 1 and 1/2 steps lower than the standard tuning.... I think it works great...

i use 60-80-100-120 strings.. for my C# F# B E tuning... i mean 100s for F# is very tight indeed but it adds alot of meat to the tone..

give it a try and see how u like it

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I've been using Labella Deep Talkin' Bass rounds 44-110 for the past two years - and what's more I'm still on the same set. Admittedly my EMG'd '87 Warwick has a lot of punch and treble but I never imagined I'd get away with strings for this long, especially as I'm known to funk it up a lot. And the 110 E is great (I'm not a detuning person, I use my Octabass when I want to go deeeep), nice and tight giving a much more even feel across all the strings and still plenty of growl and top.